free website stats program 2013 superglide won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

2013 superglide won't start

Texbrit

I have a superglide that recently had a dead battery. We charged the battery got the bike out the garage and turned it off for a few minutes, when we tried to restart the bike it tried to turn over but the battery died. We have purchased a new battery from Harley and the bike will not turn over, the lights go on and the blinkers will work I can hear the fuel pump but nothing else. When you hit the starter the headlight goes off. I do not have a security fob. Can anyone give me some advise or should I take it to the Harley dealer.

If bike has been working fine except for battery issue I would remove new battery go back to dealer and have them bench test battery. You may have received a ill prepared battery or flat out bad battery from dealer. This should be first step before towing bike to dealer. And while having battery checked at dealer and you do not have a battery tender of some sort purchase lead for battery and tender while waiting for battery test....

As Bernie suggested, have the battery load tested. Make sure all battery connections are clean and tight to include grounds and at the starter..

The headlight going off when you try to start indicates that there is insufficient power flow
So Battery is the first suspect the second suspect would be the cables between the battery and the bike
Perhaps best to remove clean and refit both main battery cables I would suspect the ground cable where it is connected to the bike

Brian

I think Brian has you covered here. I always make sure that the new battery is fully charged, 12.7V before I try to start the bike.

+1 on Fin's post. Sounds like a ground isn't clean or tight or the cable got pinched/cracked.

Back