free website stats program 2012 StreetGlide rattels when cold | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 StreetGlide rattels when cold

cjmoreau

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to the forum. My name is Chris and I have a 2012 StreetGlide with about 10,000 miles on her now and I am hearing a rattle noise somewhere in the drivetrain area, it sounds alright at idle in neutral but when you start shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd and your letting off the gas, it has a really bad rattle. When it warms up, its less noticable. I am more of a car guy and would say it was a lifter problem if it was a car but I took it up to the Harley place and they said that it was normal noise. Has anyone else had a problem with this. I had a 2009 Ultra Classic and never heard this noise. I have done all the maintenance myself and readjusted the clutch cause the dealership said that it was a little out of adjustment. I have changed the oil at the recommended intervals. I switched over to the Amsoil 20-50 for the engine and the Redline for the primary and transmission. This is the same oil I used in the Ultra Classic. Any help would be appreciated. Forgot to mention when I adjusted the clutch, I set the set screw out 1/2 turn from stopping point and then I still heard the noise so I adjusted it 3/4 turns out and it did not seem to make a difference. Again, thanks for any insight.
Chris

012 model, I would have the dealer get a Factory tech involved in this one @ NO cost to you under factory warranty. They probably will say They ALL do that or it is the transmission rattling IMO Not good enough

Thanks for the inputs, I will check the torque on everything and if that is not the problem, back to the dealership we will go.

Chris

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to the forum. My name is Chris and I have a 2012 StreetGlide with about 10,000 miles on her now and I am hearing a rattle noise somewhere in the drivetrain area, it sounds alright at idle in neutral but when you start shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd and your letting off the gas, it has a really bad rattle. When it warms up, its less noticable. I am more of a car guy and would say it was a lifter problem if it was a car but I took it up to the Harley place and they said that it was normal noise. Has anyone else had a problem with this. I had a 2009 Ultra Classic and never heard this noise. I have done all the maintenance myself and readjusted the clutch cause the dealership said that it was a little out of adjustment. I have changed the oil at the recommended intervals. I switched over to the Amsoil 20-50 for the engine and the Redline for the primary and transmission. This is the same oil I used in the Ultra Classic. Any help would be appreciated. Forgot to mention when I adjusted the clutch, I set the set screw out 1/2 turn from stopping point and then I still heard the noise so I adjusted it 3/4 turns out and it did not seem to make a difference. Again, thanks for any insight.
Chris

Dude!!!! do me a favor!!!! carry that bike right back to the dealer and tell them to stop (EDIT) around. Nothing enrages me more than a service department that likes to jack people around. The bike is under warranty, make them do their job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I went back and adjusted the clutch to 3/4 turns out instead of 1/2 turns out and adjusted the clutch handle and I found two of the heat shield clamps loose. The noise seems to have quiten down a lot. Would the 1/4 turn adjustment on the clutch make that big of difference. Thanks for the advise.

Hey guys, I went back and adjusted the clutch to 3/4 turns out instead of 1/2 turns out and adjusted the clutch handle and I found two of the heat shield clamps loose. The noise seems to have quiten down a lot. Would the 1/4 turn adjustment on the clutch make that big of difference. Thanks for the advise.
Nope. It's the muffler. Had this problem on my trike. The clamp on the outside end has a rubber sleeve which slides over the end of the clamp and then that is inserted into a rectangular loop on the frame. If you lose the rubber sleeve or it moved you have the metal clamp end rattling around the rectangular loop. P/N for rubber sleeve 84021-10 Muffler, Rubber Mount $3.50. The 10 refers to my trike yr.
It quieted down because you exerted more torque on the exhaust system and reduced the movement in that bracket. Hope that helps.

Nope. It's the muffler. Had this problem on my trike. The clamp on the outside end has a rubber sleeve which slides over the end of the clamp and then that is inserted into a rectangular loop on the frame. If you lose the rubber sleeve or it moved you have the metal clamp end rattling around the rectangular loop. P/N for rubber sleeve 84021-10 Muffler, Rubber Mount $3.50. The 10 refers to my trike yr.
It quieted down because you exerted more torque on the exhaust system and reduced the movement in that bracket. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, I will look and see tonight, I appreciate the help.

Back