free website stats program 2012 SG Dyno'ed, Now Balks | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 SG Dyno'ed, Now Balks

Raoul

After 1,000 mile break in had new 2012 SG Dyno'ed by dealer. Mods are T-Header 2 into 1, Stage one breather kit and Super Tuner. Ran OK with mods before Dyno. After Dyno, @ 3K RPM there is a frequent "balking" in acceleration over more than one gear. Super torque above 3K. Dyno chart shows no "flat spot" and air/fuel ratios show all fine. Any thoughts to share with non-tech avid rider?

I'm guessing it means there's a hesitation, or dead spot...this is why I think dyno tunes are overrated. If I ran my bike in 1/4-mile increments for $$$..sure, but cruising down back roads...no.

I'd say have them re-run the bike on dyno - you paid good coin for that tune & the customer needs to be happy w/service rendered.

We shouldn't have to "guess" what the question is. It's hard enough guessing at the answers!:)

I hear ya Hoop...too early & I'm still on 1st cup-o-joe. Too early to engage brain...yet.:D

What's "balking" mean?

I would say a flat spot like old carb days, take the bike back and have them adjust the fuel at the RPM it has the dead spot you already paid for the dyno time JMO

Thanks for the advice Hoop and Iceman. I've talked with service mgr. They are definitely going to re-run Dyno and/or find out if fuel / air settings have shifted (is that possible?) I bought the "need the Dyno" line and now am sorry I did. I cruise to work and back for 90 minutes total per day, all on freeway and was hoping to have maximum top end acceleration when needed. Am I dreaming that the SG will cruise @ 70-75 mph in 6th, then jump when I twist the throttle to pass? Or I just need to get used to downshifting at 70-75 mph to get that acceleration?

My heavy ultra with the 103 and cams will pull hard in 6th if I am cruising 70 -75 and I roll on hard. All I have for a tuner is a TFI, never found a need to have it dynoed.

If it really is just a short bog or short flat spot, it won't show up on the A/F ratio line. But there is a "acceleration pump" table in the Super tuner menu that will fix that type of problem. When the firmware sees a quick twist of the wrist (sudden increase in slope of TPS value) it increases the injector output for a fraction of a second. It performs the EFI version of a carb accelerator pump.

All depends on understanding definition of balks. How fast engine recovers from balk etc...

I've not ridden a 103, but I don't think you should expect much "jump" in 6th gear at ANY rpm. Decent acceleration yes, but you're pushing a lot of air with a high gear ratio and a heavy bike.

Back