free website stats program 2012 runss hot and noisey | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 runss hot and noisey

pvcrick

I have a 2012 ultra limited. When my wife and I go for long day rides the 103 get very hot she actually got 2nd degree burns on her lower right leg. Anyone have any idea why

If you are totally STOCK? OR have done stage one, you are Too Lean on the fuel...

All Motorcycles are EPA too Lean off the show room floor. Lean = HOT

Things you may not have done?

I would think a Oil Cooler would Help for longevity of the motor and a good synthetic oil... I use Redline products but Mobil 1 V-twin is good and easy to find.

You might think of going to a Fueler of sort... Getting rid of the EPA converter on the exhaust, Slip-ons for sound and open up back-pressure, SE Air, Mild cams, some Head work All come to mind here:D

OR keep it stock...

Modifications are in your Ball Park.:D

I like to use the SE pro tuner. Many others use the TTS that do use a Map to proper tune your bike. Usually a Dyno is needed by a tuning shop.

Others may come along to advise here... TQ1 has another good Tuner he has used...:s

Welcome to HDT....

signed....BUBBIE

:wce From the Rocky Mountains. Looks like BUBBIE'S got you covered, the big thing is add more fuel.

This could be a tough one. Bubbie has some excellent advise. With no check engine light or lack of performance adding a fueler is going to help. Where might the noise be coming from?

For a quick and simple fix some companies sell Saddlebag heat deflectors which help deflect the heat from the engine away from the passenger's leg and ankle area. Harley used to sell them but I couldn't see it when I looked for your bike. I sure other people will chime in with their suggestions too. To get to the problem you will probably have to address the LEAN fuel issue. Good luck and hopefully your wife recovers quickly.

I did remove the cat and replaced it with Full Sac pipes with V/H big rounds. I have an oil cooler and use Amsol syn oil. So from what i get from all of you I need to add a tuner of some kind to change my AFR Is the Dobeck AFR+ one of the better ones. Again I read about this one it rates pretty high. Thought are very welcome. Thanks a head of time

I did remove the cat and replaced it with Full Sac pipes with V/H big rounds. I have an oil cooler and use Amsol syn oil. So from what i get from all of you I need to add a tuner of some kind to change my AFR Is the Dobeck AFR+ one of the better ones. Again I read about this one it rates pretty high. Thought are very welcome. Thanks a head of time

The bigger problem is NO advance-retard ignition.....

The Tuners that use a Map usually do a better job... NOT just Fuel needed but the advance and retard curve is ALSO a needed thing on our 103" motors.

Yes adding fuel Does make a difference BUT, I Have Been There and Done That...Changing out to the SE

Asking for Jeff Klarich here: about His change in tuner From dobeck to a SE pro off road..... WORLD OF DIFFERENCE :s

EH Jeff?

signed....BUBBIE

Yup, made a world of difference adding the pro tuner. Runs like a big dog now thanks to your advice. :)

TO Jeff Klarich
So you switched from the Dobeck to the Screaming Eagle pro? Can someone with some mechanical knowledge understand how to use it or do I have to pay HD(hundreds of dollar) to set it up. I was a mechanic years ago now I'm a retired IT tech. Is there somewhere I can read about the SE Pro?

TO Jeff Klarich
So you switched from the Dobeck to the Screaming Eagle pro? Can someone with some mechanical knowledge understand how to use it or do I have to pay HD(hundreds of dollar) to set it up. I was a mechanic years ago now I'm a retired IT tech. Is there somewhere I can read about the SE Pro?

HD has a tuning site that IF you have a PC, you can Download and then use Their Generic CLOSE tuning Maps... That is what I did and of corse, I studied and then modified my Map to run Just Right in my 103"...

Usually the TTS OR the SE pro Off Road will require some dyno tuning... I think Jeff had his dyno tuned and his bike is running Tops.

Remember: DO ALL the mods you want BEFORE you dyno tune. Once properly Dyno Tuned you never have to change a thing.

Just looking for a shop that does a GOOD Job is the hard part...

I still think TQ1 needs to chime in here with his tuner he installed...

May other Tuners out there that YOU can tune about the same WITHOUT a Dyno YOURSELF...

Look and ask...

I should have also said you buy the wires to hook up your SE Pro Off Road tuner to the bike and and computer...use the computer and add their program... Then you can add a tune Map to your motor... REALLY Neat to do so and listen to all the clicks and noises in the total change you hear the motor BRAIN do.........
The generic maps DO a fairly good job...

My HD Map I used from HD's generic Maps, was built for the modifications I have built in my bike Mainly stage one and then the heads and SE 255 cams... The SE255 cams are EPA approved and HD has many maps that will run the bike ok...

THEN when you are a Pro:newsmile100: you can change a few things in the map to run your bike differently... I did Mainly more fuel (just a touch) in certain areas to run COOL and STRONG Yet getting the 45 constant and better mileage.

Not as tough as it sounds... Usually on NORMAL builds of slight change LIKE ours.... A generic Map WILL run things good...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back