free website stats program 2012 Nightster - Vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Nightster - Vibration

israguard

Setup: SE Intake / Doebeck Gizmo / RC Comp Pipes (Stage 1)

Hi everyone,

Took the new toy out today for its second ride. The bike is new and so far I have had barely 20km on it.

As soon as I merged onto highway and started to pick up speed, I started to feel a vibration. I felt it through the handlebars, but it felt like it was coming from the engine. Within the city at usual low speeds there is nothing.

I was in 5th doing almost 100km (55mph) and the vibration was very evident. I downshifted to 4th and as soon as rpms went up, vibration dropped significantly. I gave it more gas in 4th, and then back to 5th and juiced it up again.

Its not the wheels/tires as when I engage the clutch at these speeds, there is zero vibration.

Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated. I even thought that maybe I should switch around the plugs that lead to the injectors from the Doebeck unit.. But that shouldnt be any cause. I just have no clues as to what may be causing it.

Its not a full shake by the way.. A vibration that feels like an engine not working well combined with wheels that ar not balanced.. That type of thing.

Thanks for your time.

Check the chain and belt tension? Check for intake leak? Check engine light on? What kind of riser bushings on the handle bars?

Hi,
I dont know if there was a vibration before Stage 1 as pipes were installed at dealer prior to delivery. I then did the air intake / doebeck right after. This was first time on highway.

The SE air intake was a super easy install and fit with gasket is snug and perfect I feel.

I really dont want to undo the air intake and doebeck... Could it be a clutch issue? Or just let dealer take it for a spin?

Since the vibes calm down when you shifted down and the revs went up I think you may just be feeling a new engine and drive train breaking in. Ride it for 5 or 600 more mile and see if it starts to smooth out. If not let the dealer take a look.

Thanks HD Don,

I called my Salesrep. He too suggested that A) Its brand new and yet to be properly broken in. B) Also, he did say.. "this is a Sportster.. not an FLHX... its normal to have more vibratioins on them".

I appreciate your time. I will ride it some more and whether positive/negative, I will revert back.

Rgds, Shawn

Thanks HD Don,

I called my Salesrep. He too suggested that A) Its brand new and yet to be properly broken in. B) Also, he did say.. "this is a Sportster.. not an FLHX... its normal to have more vibratioins on them".

I appreciate your time. I will ride it some more and whether positive/negative, I will revert back.

Rgds, Shawn

MY BIKE

1200 Sporster 2006 Roadster.

These bikes ALL seem to vibrate when you get on it UNTIL you get it above/below 3000 RPM..Mine did it from new.
Going normal/easy thru the gears, you don't seem to feel it as much , getting on it you do.

Talk to other riders of the Sport and they will confirm my statement.

Yes I feel it , and it is normal and you Will feel it Even after break-in..

Just the nature of the beast:newsmile08:

signed....BUBBIE

Thank you Bubbie,

I suspect it is "normal"... and this after all isnt a highway bike. I was just fearful that something is wrong & when dealer sees the mods I made on my own... oh boy... there would be trouble.

I'm at the dealership Thursday and will ask them to take it for a spin. I'll report back.

Rgds, Shawn

Thank you Bubbie,

I suspect it is "normal"... and this after all isnt a highway bike. I was just fearful that something is wrong & when dealer sees the mods I made on my own... oh boy... there would be trouble.

I'm at the dealership Thursday and will ask them to take it for a spin. I'll report back.

Rgds, Shawn

Sporsters will vibrate nore than a big twin, you should have rode the older solid mount sporties if u wanted vibration:s

Sporsters will vibrate nore than a big twin, you should have rode the older solid mount sporties if u wanted vibration:s

Yes the older solid mount sportsters vibrate a wee bit but they do smooth out a wee bit at higher revs

Brian

Back