free website stats program 2012 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Harley-Davidson Iron 883

Tijani

Hello, I have recently purchased 2012 Harley Davidson Iron 883. I'm a newbie for motorcycles and I would appreciate if you can help. The oil level decreases in time; is it normal or something needs to be fixed. Thank you in advance.

Welcome from So. Texas. When you say your oil level decreases, does it come back to normal after running a few moments or do you eventually have o add oil?
tourbox

So if you have to add oil after a week or so I would say something is a miss. The normal for checking oil level is to it after running for a few minutes for proper circulation. Let sit for 1-2 minutes after shutting off then check level. Some people, & written on the dip sticks, say check on side stand. I prefer to k. mine standing straight up, that's the way the bike is going down the road. Have you looked for any leaks around the top end or oil dripping from the bottom of the air filter?
tourbox

So if you have to add oil after a week or so I would say something is a miss. The normal for checking oil level is to it after running for a few minutes for proper circulation. Let sit for 1-2 minutes after shutting off then check level. Some people, & written on the dip sticks, say check on side stand. I prefer to k. mine standing straight up, that's the way the bike is going down the road. Have you looked for any leaks around the top end or oil dripping from the bottom of the air filter?
tourbox

+1 to the above response. Oil levels will go down SLIGHTLY over time, just like in a car; but obvious or rapid loss in a relatively short period of time WOULD indicate a leak. Check around.

Get yourself a service manual. Don't over fill. Your bike will consume some oil and a lot depends on riding style and the conditions you ride in.

Welcome, and nice bike btw.

Anybody here with a streetglide special?

I'm trying to figure out if I have a cigarette lighter on it

Any ideas where it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Back