free website stats program 2012 Fatboy Stage 1 Suggestions | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Fatboy Stage 1 Suggestions

transalp1961

I have a new to me 2012 Fatboy. I would like to upgrade the exhaust and like the looks of the stock header pipes. I was thinking of the Vance & Hines slip ons. Supposedly, the catalitic converters are in the stock mufflers so I will need to get a tuner. I have heard good things about the Dobeck fuel controllers. I plan on adding a K&N performance air filter kit. Any suggestions from those that have already been down this road? I do not plan on doing any other modifications, just want a little more rumble and a little performance gain.
Thanks in advance.

Your bike will thank you for more air and fuel. Dobeck has a great tech dept and will help you dial in the tune and being a member here at HDT you will get a discount.

Dobeck Performance- 877-764-3337 or 406-388-2377

Welcome, I have a 012 road king, just upgraded exhaust in February went with Rinehart exhaust and a Vance and Hines tuner and a K&N air filter my bike runs much cooler and sounds much better.Good luck with your upgrades.

Dobeck will do you just fine for what you are doing. Also when you get your slip ons if the rumble isn't loud enough you can put in " Big City Thunder " baffles. They sound really deep and will turn heads.

That model and year has the CANBus (HDLAN). So you can upgrade the fuel management with the V&H FP3. I loved it on my '11 Heritage Softail Classic. If you are going with the V&H slip-ons, you might consider the FP3.

Check this out:

http://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com/

You can also search for my posts on that fuel management system here on the site.

Cheers,

TQ

Welcome from So. Texas. If you go with Dobeck they used to offer a discount to members on this forum and to Vets/ Active Service men also
tourbox

Thanks, I am aware of the discount for members of this forum. I called Vance & Hines. Their FP3 is used to flash the Harley ECM. Once it is flashed, you remove the FP3. The FP3 uses the O2 sensors. With the Dobeck, the O2 sensors are disconnected so the ECM runs in open loop. There are people who like both systems. Decisions, decisions!

The FP3 also has a "learn" mode that can develop the map based on the way you ride. After it is done, you can send it to V&H for them to "tweak" it. I just used the canned download based on my bike's configuration and was very satisfied with it. I had originally gotten the FP3 to eliminate some severe decel popping after doing the Stage 1. Fixed that right off.

I left the FP3 connected to the ECU so that I could monitor the sensors through the FP3 to a smartphone. My bike did not have a Tach, so I used the FP3 through the phone for that. It is a pretty cool deal.

Cheers,

TQ

Back