free website stats program 2012 Dyna Street Bob | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Dyna Street Bob

ww1rdb

Good Morning from a newbie here..ok now forgive me if you older guys have handled this till you are blue in the face(older meaning as a rider not as age) hahaha...anyway on to my questions..

I traded my old bike in for this one..old bike I had put all the upgrades to go with Rinehart true duals..liked the sound really well..ok now to my new girl..I took her home from the Harley Shop and all I could think is how quiet almost honda like it sounded..well I want to change that a little..

have been looking and pricing and think I have decided either the Rinehart staggered or the Vance and Hines staggered..leaning towards the Rinehart because i have had them..I like it to be louder but dont want overkill on sound..

now to the shop, and sales people..sales says I have to put the Screaming Egal race tunner on it and also the Dyno and the air box..I get out to service and the manager says I can get by without the race box with just a stage! download..so did a guy i talked to yesterday at a show who had worked for Harley for 17 years..

ok I would like your input..remember I dont know a lot about all of this.. this is what I do know the race box and Dyno adds like $600 to price..I am retired so if it needs it I can scrape up the money but if it doesnt the money can go to other goodies..I know i am getting wordy but dont want to make wrong choice..

Manager told me he would do the Stage I download and if I wasnt happy add the race box later...now keep in mind till the bike is off warranty I want to have the Dealer do these things..I know they did a decent job last time but didnt know the options...

thank you
Rob ww1rdb

1. Your bike is lean off the showroom floor due to EPA mandates. You can ride it forever like this if you're OK with the resultant heat.

2. Adding free flowing slip ons and/or air filter will make your bike even leaner. Again, if you choose you can just keep riding like this with even more heat hitting your legs. However, most riders choose to add some sort of fuel tuner at this point.

3. HD Stage I download will merely return your bike to the exact same degree of leanness it left the dealer with. Better but not ideal.

4. LOTS of fuel tuners to choose from. Spend some time using the search function of this forum and reading through the Self Help Tips to educate yourself. You must decide on such factors as price and complexity. If you're looking for simplicity and economy, you can't beat the forum discount you get from Dobeck on their TFI's. Awesome customer service from them as well.

5. A dyno run is not necessary in most instances unless you really want to fine tune your HP, TQ, or mileage numbers. Pretty expensive IMHO and you really have to do your homework before selecting a person to do this work.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

ok thank you for the reply..is Harley just pushing their brands ie: the Screaming Eagle race tuner?...as for Dobeck not familiar but then havent done much of this stuff..will have to see if all exhaust are slip ons or complete pipes..but I do appreciate your advice and I will see if I can make a wise choice..

the Harly Dealer seems to have a decent rep for their work..now if anyone in my area has infor to the opposite let me know..I live in Lacey Wa, and the dealer is a local one...not sure if I can mention names here as this is my first day,,

thanks Dr. Dolittle from ww1rdb in Lacey Wa.

ok thank you for the reply..is Harley just pushing their brands ie: the Screaming Eagle race tuner?...as for Dobeck not familiar but then havent done much of this stuff..will have to see if all exhaust are slip ons or complete pipes..but I do appreciate your advice and I will see if I can make a wise choice..

the Harly Dealer seems to have a decent rep for their work..now if anyone in my area has infor to the opposite let me know..I live in Lacey Wa, and the dealer is a local one...not sure if I can mention names here as this is my first day,,

thanks Dr. Dolittle from ww1rdb in Lacey Wa.

Of course Harley is pushing their own stuff. They're in business to make money, right? That's why it's important for all of us to do our own research and not just take the dealer's word on things. Please don't take this as me bashing Harley products, specifically the race tuner. I'm sure many forum members use it and are happy with it. If money's not a primary factor and your research leads you to this product, then by all means go for it. I just know the TFI is reasonably priced and very straight forward to use. They are a sponsor here so online tech support is readily available through their dedicated forum section. They also have fabulous telephone customer service.

Feel free to mention any dealer names along with positive or negative reviews.

Greetings from Forks Washington...2years ago I was very new to HD as well. I came from a long time of being a Goldwing rider. Here is what I learned in the past two years:
1) Harleys run very hot when stock...even in Washington lol.
2) If you only upgrade one of the three components of a stage 1 process, you don't have to tweak anything-the onboard puter does it for you.
3) I first added a maxflo aircleaner...big boost in power.
4) I went with the Dobecks TFI...OMG! I installed it myself and it is AWESOME. I am not a mechanic (wrencher in HD Talk) the directions are simple and concise.
5)I installed Rush slipons, Bike runs great, cooler, has more power, sounds good and about the same MPG as stock...

The main thing you will want to achieve is a comfortable, dependable ride. The reduction in heat output is something you will be eternally grateful for when your stopped at those long Lacey red lights in traffic or cruising the Oyster Run in Anacortes (which by the way is 4th Sunday in September...Sept 23).

I am not an authority by any means, but it seems that Dyno-tuning is almost a thing of the past with the new TFI options out there. They all basically do the same thing, just some are more rider tweakable, while others come with presets ready to plug and go.

ok thanks to you both...I may be back to ask questions if they make several models..but for now will do some looking...and yes would love to have things a bit cooler unless maybe winter time...hahahaha..havent been to Forks for several years..will enjoy this bike if I dont make wrong choices..main thing is good gas milage, good performance and a decent sound...

If you want to see some contortions mention an after market fueler to a HD parts guys or tech you'd think they just about to expire from your very words. Seriously I know it feels like a full court press for the Dobeck products but it is just amazing what this does for your bike.

If you want to see some contortions mention an after market fueler to a HD parts guys or tech you'd think they just about to expire from your very words. Seriously I know it feels like a full court press for the Dobeck products but it is just amazing what this does for your bike.

now I am being honest here when I say I am asking questions from those of you who have done it..so Dobeck is good...is what you are saying is a dealer wont install it?..I printed out what I could find and you guys are right it is half the cost..and if those who use it like it then that may just be my ticket..

learned a long time ago there are no dumb questions..good to have experienced people to draw from...I am new here as of today and have been told they are a sponsor here, so do you contact them here?..not sure I know where to contact a sponsor..so I feel I am getting closer..also have to make up my mind what exhaust to buy..wish they had a page where you could look and it would show you different things on the bike..I think I ran across it once but may have been dreaming...hahaha...

just got back from a 100 mile ride..75 more and the 1000 mile tune up is due
am actually liking this one more every day...

Back