free website stats program 2012 Dyna (FXDC) rear light tree | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 Dyna (FXDC) rear light tree

CRCKR

About a week ago I had a dummy light pop on so I got out my phone, pulled up the FP3 app, and checked the code and it was a brake relay stuck open. I know I need a rear brake switch already and have that planned when I can get the 70 miles to a shop but I took the rear brake light off, unplugged and reseated the connector and everything was OK. Last night, on my way home and after driving down a very twisty road in pitch blac I went through a town and got pulled over... The brake light works when front brake is applied (as noted, I know that the rear switch is bad) and turn signals/flashers work when activated but all lights are otherwise out... I checked my manual and there is nothing about wiring for the rear light tree.

Troubleshooting steps? I'm at a loss on this...

Have a multimeter but not sure where to start...

Fuses are good? The wire for the rear light runs on the inside of the fender above the tire on most models. Its possible that the wiring has been compromised by something. Wouldn't hurt to have a look.

As Bodeen, could be a problem under fender. The normal colors for the wires are as follows(usually).
Blue is Tail light, Red is Brake light, Violet is Left turn, and Brown is Right turn.
The connector for the rear section is under your seat.
tourbox

To add to what to what Tourbox said. Take the connector apart under the seat and with your multi-meter on DCV check from ground to each one of the wire colors he posted while the respective color wire is supposed to be on. Your on your way..

Thanks gents. I'll check it out when I get home from work. The turn signals work when I use them but the "running lights" don't stay on, like the tail light works when brake is pulled but not when just running. I looked in my service manual and didn't see anything special for fuses... apart from the main fuses. Electrical is my weakest point...

Could certainly be a problem under the fender. I'm 210 lbs, and when I put the ol' lady on the back, even though she is pretty small, we have bottomed out a couple of times on our wonderful roads...but it seems that the lights would just not work at all if that was it... We will see!

Last edited:
If you have running lights in the rear with turn signals then you have a converter hooked up under the seat. The lenses for the rear turns would of been changed from yellow to red if that's the case. If they are still yellow then No Running lights in Rear. If the converter is there just unplug it and plug the bike side connector back into the fender connector. If it goes back to working, w/o running lights, then your converter is bad.
tourbox

If you have running lights in the rear with turn signals then you have a converter hooked up under the seat. The lenses for the rear turns would of been changed from yellow to red if that's the case. If they are still yellow then No Running lights in Rear. If the converter is there just unplug it and plug the bike side connector back into the fender connector. If it goes back to working, w/o running lights, then your converter is bad.
tourbox
That was my mistake. Just blinkers.

Back