free website stats program 2012 103" flhtk | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 103" flhtk

This is my first Harley and I am in love. My question is this I have 3400 miles on it and was wondering if the top end is always noisey? If it were a car I would be adjusting the lifters no doubt about it but maybe I'm just to sensitive to the noise since I have been a motorhead all my life. Im not sure at what RPM it gets noisey but it chills when I shift then comes back. I realize im sitting on top of it just wondered if its normal? Not thrilled with the oil pressure either at an idle but I'm told its normal. Again new to Harley but if it were not new and anything else I would have it in pieces already.

This is my first Harley and I am in love. My question is this I have 3400 miles on it and was wondering if the top end is always noisey? If it were a car I would be adjusting the lifters no doubt about it but maybe I'm just to sensitive to the noise since I have been a motorhead all my life. Im not sure at what RPM it gets noisey but it chills when I shift then comes back. I realize im sitting on top of it just wondered if its normal? Not thrilled with the oil pressure either at an idle but I'm told its normal. Again new to Harley but if it were not new and anything else I would have it in pieces already.

YOU May have a low pumping oil pump...

You have to give More information on you bike than that.

What oil do you use and weight?
do you have an oil cooler?
what mods are done to the bike?
air, exhaust?
WHAT Is the oil pressure at Idle And at running speed?
oil pressure checked by? gauge?
how HOT is it out in your area and IF LOW in trafffic or just a plain Low at IDLE?

Lots to Hear back.

Yes Harleys are Noisy... Most first time buyers get the same reaction you are having...

BUT I will Humor you here IF you Answer the above...:D

Might be something wrong.

ADDED:
Most don't remember They are AIR COOLED...

signed....BUBBIE

HD syn 20-50 yes it has an oil cooler the only mod is American custom mufflers. The oil pressure is around 10 when hot at an idle 30+ when moving. Like I said I love the bike just hard to get used to the noise. Guess thats why it has a radio, just turn it up right? LOL

The air cooled engine does make a wee bit more noise than a water cooled engine as there is no water jacket to muffle the sounds of the engine it may be worth comparing the sound with other similar engines to see if yours sounds normal

Brian

HD syn 20-50 yes it has an oil cooler the only mod is American custom mufflers. The oil pressure is around 10 when hot at an idle 30+ when moving. Like I said I love the bike just hard to get used to the noise. Guess thats why it has a radio, just turn it up right? LOL

That oil pressure is Normal...

These bikes have roller bearings thru-out the motor and not needing a Lot of oil Pressuure and actually 10 lbs hot idle is good... The motor NEEDS to have under 14 lbs at idle (unless cold) so the piston sprayers DON'T spray at idle...

Really HOT, Over Hot, these bikes can go to "0" on your gauge BUT IF your IDIOT light never flickers or comes on and the LIFTER don't CLATTER
(not clatter but CLATTER) and cruise stays in the 30 lb. area... You are good to go.

Best to NOT Idle in traffic When You Have Other Choices.....

Enjoy that bike...

Remember a saying the HD shop will tell you when you ask them....

Normal,,,,,,They ALL do it....:newsmile100:

welcome to our great site... asking all questions and you can,,,,CAN get answers here..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks! That eases my mind alot and I am very familiar with dealer answers. Thats why I had to ask the question on here as I figured I would get a truthful answer as opposed to its normal. I have lots of questions since I am a newbie so expect to see more from me.

Keep in mind with a fairing you will here a bit more noise, your oil pressure looks OK plus you have a warranty I say ride it:D

Yup the answer is "they all do that", I bought a 2012 Road glide ultra and the 103 rattles a lot louder than my other 2 Harleys did, took it to the stealer and well you know the answer...

Back