free website stats program 2011 ultra windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 ultra windshield

tommys

I replaced the stock windshield with a 9 inch Memphis shade love the height and everything but I noticed that the windshield is a little thicker than the stock one leaving a small gap on the fairng maybe an 1/8 of inch wide and a couple inches long just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if I should even worry about it its not noticeable to the eye but I know its there

Ran a Memphis Shades on my '07 Ultra for years.
Never a problem with the w/s.

Seems to always be a slight difference in the various brands but they all work, to a point.

just wondering about the small gap where the inner faring and outer faring and windshield come together.
I realize that It will allow a litte moisture in the fairing but would that be a problem

Last edited:
Recently installed an 8" dark tint Freedom windshield on my ride and it not only looks great but functions extremely well. Sorry no pics of my ride but plenty on their site should you want to check em out.

just picked up the new HD 10in wind splitter, love it. previous windshield had gap. got weather stipping from pepboys and filled in the gap. couldn't tell unless you looked really close.

A bit of clear silicone can fill the gap.
My National Cycles ha a small gap at the ends so I just used some silicone.
Worked fine for me.

Pics would definitely assist, but if it was my ride I'd fill the gap. Need to get some "weatherproof" foam tape that seals out moisture b/c water under the fairing bad things happen. Just washing the bike will get things wet...JMO.

I installed a Freedom Shield on my FLHTCU and it's thicker than stock so I have the same issue with the gap. I've had it on for a few weeks and love it so my plan is to do just what Iceman suggested. keeping water out is a good thing, IMO.

Run a fine bead of clear silicone in the gap. Tape off both sides with blue painters masking tape first to keep the silicone from getting where you don't want it. Then spray a little glass cleaner on your finger and gently tool the bead so its smooth. Glass cleaner lets your finger slide over the silicone without sticking or pulling it out. Pull of the tape gently away from the bead. Let dry for at least 24 hours in a dust free area. Once dry, water won't get in. Don't use the cheapo silicone caulk from Home Depot, and try a test bead somewhere other than your bike first. Any excess cleans up real easy after its cured and dry. Mess with it while its wet and you getter a bigger mess.

Back