free website stats program 2011 Trike burning my right leg | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Trike burning my right leg

This problem of the heat burning your calf muscle. That's the catalyst converter the motor company placed in the front header pipe. Its best to eliminate it. However, if your in an area that does emission testing on your motorcycle. You will not want to modify the stock pipe. But get new pipes to replace the stock ones. This way when inspection comes around. You can stick the stock pipes back on.

Since the Tri-glide has a tour-pac mounted on it. There will always be a constant back draft when moving. (air moves forward) The reason I bring this to one's attention is,... the heat coming off your engine while moving. Contacts the trikes body and gets sent upwards. The back draft brings that heat forward. Its a hot circle that continues on both sides of a tri-glide. In addition to the constant heat that keeps flowing back at the rider and passenger from the engine.

For the riders that experience the heat while setting in traffic. I sell V-Twin Heat Deflectors. Though the motor company has their own plastic heat shields. Ours are much better for a few reasons. HD's version of our product is made of plastic and their shields are of equal size on each side. The problem with theirs is, since being the same size. They cause what I call a bowl effect. They collect and hold a constant heat under your seat. They also magnify the heat that contacts the passengers right ankle area. My product greatly reduces what contacts the passengers ankle area and it's physical shape, when moving causes more circulation of air movement towards the rear cylinder. Our product is made of aluminum and has a vinyl surface that matches the grain of the seat. Making our deflectors look as an extension of your saddle. Ours blends in with the motorcycle or trikes looks and doesn't stand out as addition. We have been making our heat deflectors since August 2002. Way before anyone. Which enables us to have a superior product over anybody's version. I had set up a poll on another site that allowed riders that have been using our product to select just how long they have had our product installed. I've customers that had our product on their bikes since we first started selling them and are still using them to this day and they still look as if they had just installed them. We build ours to last. A lot of riders, instead of purchasing our heat deflectors or deflectors from other sources. Have chosen the more expensive route at making their bikes run richer by changing their pipes, their cams and so forth, anything to make the bike's engine run cooler and they have had success at reducing the engine's temperature. But no matter what you add to enrichen your scoot's engine. You will never get the rear cylinder of your engine to operate under 120 degrees. The reason I bring this temperature to your attention is. 120 degrees is the temperature that 2nd degree burns start at. Most riders can endure the exposure of an engines heat when its 190 or 212 or even 220. New riders, especially the ones that graduated from a car to a motorcycle can't handle the heat. However no matter what type of rider you are. When the heat of that rear cylinder reaches 120 degrees. From that point on. You are cooking your inner thighs. That's why our logo states "No more Fried Thighs!"
There's riders in this forum that can vouch for the results and the quality/craftsmanship of our heat deflectors. If you have any questions. Please feel free to contact me or just ask away.

Here's a couple pictures for your viewing.

CloseRS001.jpg

P1000951.jpg

P1000949.jpg

P1000916.jpg

RSclose.jpg

LSclose.jpg

RSB%20close.JPG

LS%20close.JPG

More can be viewed at RJS Originals

Just my 2 cents worth but didn't you guys do your homework before you bought your TriGlides? All over the internet there are sites where owners are complaining about the heat they generate. It's not a new complaint. I demoed a TriGlide 3 times and decided not to buy one after I felt the heat almost immediately after the ride started and it became unbearable when idling in bumper to bumper traffic.

The internet has gotten so advanced that I myself wont purchase any thing on or off line with out reading the reviews. However this thread is showing the results some are having after the fact that they had already purchased. So lets keep this thread going so that there will be comments that may help others to improve on what they are riding. Hindsight doesn't apply after the fact.

zoood

Just my 2 cents worth but didn't you guys do your homework before you bought your TriGlides? All over the internet there are sites where owners are complaining about the heat they generate. It's not a new complaint. I demoed a TriGlide 3 times and decided not to buy one after I felt the heat almost immediately after the ride started and it became unbearable when idling in bumper to bumper traffic.

I did do some homework before buying one. First I had checked here on the forum and found nothing and second my brother in law bought one months before I did and he said he had no problems with it. But he doesn't ride that much either. Homework Done.:newsmile071:

I bought a 2011 H-D Trike in April. I have been having trouble with the heat from the exhaust burning my right leg as I ride. It gets so bad that I actually have a burn on the leg. My brother in law has the same trike with the same problem. I have also read different forums with others that have the same problem. Harley says there is no problem but the dealer did wrap the pipes with heat tape to no avail. Anyone else come across this and is there a solution that will fit the budget?

I also ride a 2011 Harley Trike.
Checkout the new Touring Models and note that Harley has added a water cooling system that's runs thru the heads in an effort to run cooler, but that does not help any of the existing touring models that run hot.
I had the stage one installed last month but have not ridden in extremely hot weather, but it does not run as hot and I have more power.

I also ride a 2011 Harley Trike.
Checkout the new Touring Models and note that Harley has added a water cooling system that's runs thru the heads in an effort to run cooler, but that does not help any of the existing touring models that run hot.
I had the stage one installed last month but have not ridden in extremely hot weather, but it does not run as hot and I have more power.

By increasing the fuel mixture ( richer) the engine will run a little cooler and you will notice more power. The EPA standards that HD has to abide by is what made them lean the fuel mixture out in the first place. Even though your stage one has enriched your fuel to air mixture. You wont ever get your engine's back cylinder to operate at a temperature that is less than 120 degrees. 120 is the temperature that 2nd degree burns start at.
Even though you and I can handle sitting over an air cooled engine at 120 degrees. Its at 220 that it gets uncomfortable. Well it does for me. My engine in my trike is larger than what HD is selling these days. Im running a 113 Ultima. Other than the Heat Deflectors I sell on line for the searing heat that contacts your inner thighs. I had also added a Jagg 10 row oil cooler that has a thermostatically controlled fan that pulls air through the cooler. I also added a digital oil temp gauge so I can see exactly what temperature my oil is before it enters the oil cooler. On a 90 degree day and riding at 70 to 75 mph. The oil temperature I run at is 190 to 202.

zoood/RJ

By increasing the fuel mixture ( richer) the engine will run a little cooler and you will notice more power. The EPA standards that HD has to abide by is what made them lean the fuel mixture out in the first place. Even though your stage one has enriched your fuel to air mixture. You wont ever get your engine's back cylinder to operate at a temperature that is less than 120 degrees. 120 is the temperature that 2nd degree burns start at.
Even though you and I can handle sitting over an air cooled engine at 120 degrees. Its at 220 that it gets uncomfortable. Well it does for me. My engine in my trike is larger than what HD is selling these days. Im running a 113 Ultima. Other than the Heat Deflectors I sell on line for the searing heat that contacts your inner thighs. I had also added a Jagg 10 row oil cooler that has a thermostatically controlled fan that pulls air through the cooler. I also added a digital oil temp gauge so I can see exactly what temperature my oil is before it enters the oil cooler. On a 90 degree day and riding at 70 to 75 mph. The oil temperature I run at is 190 to 202.

zoood/RJ

Since I mentioned about my Heat Deflectors in this post. I'll also mention that Im holding a month long sale. Now's the time to get them at this discounted price and if you reside in the USA I'll ship it to you for free.

US VETERANS DAY Month Long SALE

Starting November 4th thru the 30th.
All Heat Deflector Styles for all Models are reduced by 20%.
Plus FREE Shipping for all USA address Orders.
All USA Orders must call 910-592-1585
You can also visit our Website here -
No More Fried Thighs!!!

International Orders
are also reduced by 20% for this sale, however
shipping charges still apply.
You can calculate your shipping costs and place your order at our
E-Bay Store

Just got a 2015 Trike. What does removing the cats cause with respect to codes? I would thing that would make the ECM go crazy? Would like to do a stage one at some point and am seeking info before taking off on such a project.

If you can get rid of the cats in the head pipes, that would help greatly. Question. Do you have lowers on the trike and do you have the vents open. Not trying to be smart here but a friend of mine has an Ultra and didn't know the vents opened on it. Hope this helps. Someone else will respond with more suggestions. :D

Does removing the cats cause ECM to set a code? I have 2015 and although liquid cooled it still runs pretty hot.

Back