free website stats program 2011 Trike burning my right leg | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Trike burning my right leg

behavin

I bought a 2011 H-D Trike in April. I have been having trouble with the heat from the exhaust burning my right leg as I ride. It gets so bad that I actually have a burn on the leg. My brother in law has the same trike with the same problem. I have also read different forums with others that have the same problem. Harley says there is no problem but the dealer did wrap the pipes with heat tape to no avail. Anyone else come across this and is there a solution that will fit the budget?

If you can get rid of the cats in the head pipes, that would help greatly. Question. Do you have lowers on the trike and do you have the vents open. Not trying to be smart here but a friend of mine has an Ultra and didn't know the vents opened on it. Hope this helps. Someone else will respond with more suggestions. :D

Don't know what the budget is but I'm with Joe, I would look into new header pipes. If you can I would also go to true duels and get rid of the pipe that runs down on the right side from the rear cyl. You might also look into the Dobeck fueler to get rid of the lean condition which will also make it run cooler. There are several posts here dealing with wrapping exhaust headers and the trouble it will cause.

Harley says there is no problem but the dealer did wrap the pipes with heat tape to no avail. Anyone else come across this and is there a solution that will fit the budget?

At least one court disagrees with HD, and has allowed a class action suit to be filed (or proceed). I am amazed that a dealer wrapped the pipes on a new bike in an attempt to eliminate the heat. Yea, that's the look everyone wants on their $35+K trike. :(

I don't have the heat problem you described, but these bikes do run hot to the touch, escpecially in the summer time, so I bought a pair of leather legs for summer and warm weather riding (when I don't wear my full leathers). Really like them. You can check them out at:

Leather Legs

may also want to think about going with a insulating wrap or new pipes that run alittle further away ... dont know exactly where they are running now so may not be an option

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I agree with everyone about replacing the exhaust system and adding a Power Commander or similar unit to the trike. Get rid of the lean burning condition and intro a little more fuel to cool things down.
I cannot see putting the fiberglass wrap on an expensive trike. That's just wrong and the dealers know it. I hope you don't live in California, cause if you don't modify the trike's exhaust and EFI.

If I knew which court that was, i would be inclined to join that suit. I paid much more for this trike and enjoy it less than my car. Some tell me when the weather gets cooler I won't mind it as much. I have removed the vents in the lowers in an effort to get more air to my legs, but that did not help much. But really, this trike was close to 40K. I should be able to enjoy riding it. I am of the understanding that if I change the pipes in any way, HD will void my warrenty, so I guess that won't be an option for now. I have heard of something called a TFI that would help, can someone tell me what that is exactly and will it void the warrenty?

For information on the suit, google "harley class action lawsuit", it will bring up many links about it.
On warranty, they can't void your warranty just because you add something. They must prove that whatever you added, caused a failure or problem. Dealers are notorious for using scare tactics, like "if you have service done by anyone but us, we will void the warranty. Not true at all.
TFI is a simple to install device that enables the rider to richen up the fuel mixture. They make several models, and are very supportive with price and service for forum members. I have one on my '07 and it helped cool it down, but it's still pretty warm at traffic lights. I was just guessing at the price when I put $35K+,,, I should have used a CAPITOL +. :)
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Breeze, there was never any offence taken about the cost, I was just sayin and thank you and everyone for the information. I did talk with a different guy at the dealership and he said I could put on true duels and a stage one download to cure the problem at the cost of $2000.00. It does not take away from the fact that after spending all that money for a trike, I need to spend another 2K to make it rideable. All I am saying
is this should be Harleys problem to correct.
TANK, I live in Buckeye, AZ and we should get together sometime. :)

Back