free website stats program 2011 Sportster Won't Start | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Sportster Won't Start

SnakebitN

Right I need some help with a 2011 Sportster that won't start ? This my second Sportster same problems after a year of owning.I have had other bikes Triumph,Honda"s and others.I have been a mechanic or paint & BODY MAN FOR YEARS now retired.That's why I bought new so I wouldn't have to work on it.WRONG !

Welcome to the forum from Suwannee. You will do better moving your question over to the Sportster section and providing all the info on what you have done to the bike and what it is doing. Also it sometimes helps to go back to the last thing you did do the bike, such as modifications.

Mod note - I agree so I moved it here

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I am having with the 2011 Sportster 1200 is it started out like the battery was getting weak hit the start button.Nothing! Everything goes dead like the battery is gone. The fuses & relays are in good shape or I have replaced them if they were bad.I have cleaned the corrosion off if any.Everything is the same as long as the battery charger is hooked up it lites up but still not turn the engine over to start.I pulled the plugs out nothing thought it might be locked up.All the starter does is click like a bad battery but it checks out as good. Whats Next ?

That does sound like a bad battery have you had it load tested
It is not un common for the battery cables to corrode inside the sheath
Clean both ends of both battery cables to ensure a good connection
If you live in a cold damp climate then corrosion can be a problem on cables connectors and on switches often location information is helpful

Brian

I agree with Brian on this. If the battery is good the engine should turn over if there are no connection or switch problems. See what the battery voltage is, should be around 14+ volts. You could also try to jump it from another source ie, car battery. Good Luck!

I agree with Brian on this. If the battery is good the engine should turn over if there are no connection or switch problems. See what the battery voltage is, should be around 14+ volts. You could also try to jump it from another source ie, car battery. Good Luck!

Mistake here, sorry, battery should be ~ 12.7 if fully charged, output to battery around 14+ when running, hope you get it fixed

Back