Model Year(s): 2011
Manufacturer: HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
Mfr's Report Date: JAN 28, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V037000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: Engine and engine cooling:engine
Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,964

Summary:
Harley-davidson is recalling certain model year 2011 softail motorcycles manufactured from june 7, 2010, through october 8, 2010, which have had a security system kit installed as an accessory. The body control modules (bcm) involved are part numbers 69991-11 and 69993-11. The bcm has a case that may not have been properly sealed during production. An improper seal may allow water intrusion into the bcm which may cause engine stall.

Consequence:
an engine stall while in traffic can result in a crash, which could lead to injury or death to the rider.

Remedy:
Harley-davidson will notify owners and dealers will replace the bcm free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about february 21, 2011. Owners may contact harley-davidson at 1-414-343-4056.

Notes:
Owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) .

NHTSA

I'm glad that they're going to recall and fix the problem instead of sweeping it under the rug like Toyota tried.

I have a 2011 Fatboylo with security, any way to know if my bike will be recalled

Use the search button on top of page.
Type in recall and should list some posts about where to look for recalls.
Or click on recall in first thread and see where you can go from there.

Make sure those of you with the affected bikes don't wash them or ride in the rain!

I take the plunge and go for a brand new shiny 2011 Softail Deluxe and this is how it goes? Why'd they have have to mess up on my model? :bigsmiley19:

Perfect! Just in time for Bike Week! FYI to you 2011 Softail owners

Vehicle Make / Model: H-D / SOFTAIL
Model Year(s): 2011
Manufacturer: HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
Mfr's Report Date: JAN 28, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V037000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: Engine and engine cooling:engine
Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,964

Summary:
Harley-davidson is recalling certain model year 2011 softail motorcycles manufactured from june 7, 2010, through october 8, 2010, which have had a security system kit installed as an accessory. The body control modules (bcm) involved are part numbers 69991-11 and 69993-11. The bcm has a case that may not have been properly sealed during production. An improper seal may allow water intrusion into the bcm which may cause engine stall.

Consequence:
an engine stall while in traffic can result in a crash, which could lead to injury or death to the rider.

Remedy:
Harley-davidson will notify owners and dealers will replace the bcm free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about february 21, 2011. Owners may contact harley-davidson at 1-414-343-4056.

Notes:
Owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) .

NHTSA

Well there is a plus side, the problem is potential water intrusion into the BCM (Body Control Module) and not actually a electronic/function problem. I would also hazard a guess that it probably would not have been noticed if not for the unseasonably wet/harsh winter AND bring to light the potential stalling problem.:newsmile078:

Back