free website stats program 2011 rk | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 rk

Billbo

I recently bought a 2011 RK. I need about 1-2 inches for me to reach the handle bar comfortably. I believe it has "beach" bars - factory bars for the RK. HD shop said NO risers. So my other options are to replace the bars with some like Heritage bars that I could pull back (possibly replace cables etc) OR put on a "Reach" seat.
Question:
Does anyone have any experience with the HD REACH seats" - please tell me about them.

The 'reach' seat seems would be a very easy replacement for me - swapping out the handle bars is much more difficult (would probably let the HD shop do that). I think the seat is about $300 and the bars about $90 PLUS other parts plus labor.

Any ideas would be appreciated here.

Thanks
Bill

Bill, check a Mustang seat, it will move you forward also, has more padding and is a much better design than the H D seat IMO

+1 on the mustang seat
WAP.gif

I seem to remember a lot of folks putting the 'heritage' bars on the bike? Not sure, but I am sure Jack or someone may be better equipped with the knowledge to answer that. :)

Bill, unless your bike has integrated risers/ handle bars you would be better off trying the seat first IMO

Bill, check a Mustang seat, it will move you forward also, has more padding and is a much better design than the H D seat IMO

+1 on the mustang seat
WAP.gif

I seem to remember a lot of folks putting the 'heritage' bars on the bike? Not sure, but I am sure Jack or someone may be better equipped with the knowledge to answer that. :)

Thanks ALL. I think I would prefer the Heritage (taller type) bars over a new seat. Maybe Im wrong about all that. It seems that there is a lot of discussion (even on other forums) about IF and by how much seats actually move you down and farther forward. The dealer here next week end is having a "try before you buy" deal. Maybe I can get them to put on a new seat for me to try - of course it would be a HD seat! Hey it always seem to involve MONEY and more MONEY. Heck I cant even put on a $250 luggage rack without buying the $170 'luggage rack' mounting system first!! $$$$... :(

Bill

I am not familiar with the '11 model but I put a set of Heritage bars on my '03 and never looked back. That being said, another 1"-2" higher would be even better but I got the bars for free (right in my price range. Thanks, Relapz!).

Maybe find a take-off seat on Craigslist and send it to Mean City. Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications

I am not familiar with the '11 model but I put a set of Heritage bars on my '03 and never looked back. That being said, another 1"-2" higher would be even better but I got the bars for free (right in my price range, thanks, Relapz!).

Maybe find a take-off seat on Craigslist and send it to Mean City. Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications

Thanks Bodeen - good info there. I could pull back the taller bars and that would solve my 'reach' concern. Curious, do you still have the original HD seat on your bike? This one seems comfy enough - just a slight stretch to reach the bars comfortably. I can reach the ground ok. I do have a 2001 Heritage with Mustang seat and I can tell the difference in height for sure. Im not a tall guy either - 5'-9".

Bill

Thanks Bodeen - good info there. I could pull back the taller bars and that would solve my 'reach' concern. Curious, do you still have the original HD seat on your bike? This one seems comfy enough - just a slight stretch to reach the bars comfortably. I can reach the ground ok. I do have a 2001 Heritage with Mustang seat and I can tell the difference in height for sure. Im not a tall guy either - 5'-9".

Bill

I mostly ride on a Corbin solo unless on a long run or the Warden is with me. Then I pull out the Mustang. The Mustang rides much higher than the Corbin but it also has twice the padding or more. I'm 6' and long legged so reaching the ground was never an issue for me. My neck started to hurt with the stock bars while riding and found the reach to be the culprit causing a kink in my neck. The Heritage bars solved that but I wish the grip part was turned out ever so slightly. Wide shoulders, gorilla hands and arms cause that I guess. Having said all that I got about 25K miles on the Heritage bars.....

Back