free website stats program 2011 RG Zumo Integration Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 RG Zumo Integration Issue

stewarrd

OK I need some help. On my past bike I had a Zumo 550 and had it hard wired into the bikes radio/communication system with J&M wiring harnesses. This enabled me to blue tooth my phone to the Zumo and thus receive phone calls. All I had to do was turn a switch on that was mounted to my handlebar and the intercom and CB were cut out and I could just talk though my headset. It was great, the incoming call would show up on the Zumo identifying who was calling and ring in my headset. Also was able to see my phone book on the Zumo.
OK for the question I have just purchase the new 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO and it came with a Zumo 660 already mounted and intergraded into the radio/communication system. I can receive the Zumo driving instructions though the headset but unable to received phone calls. I have talked to the dealer and they have contacted HD tech support and HD doesn’t have any type of module or add on harness that enables this feature. Also contacted J&M and they don’t have anything for this bike set up a present. Is there anyone that knows of any other resource that my have the needed wiring harness or expertise to help me in this matter.

I'm assuming that your BlueTooth on your phone is turned on and that you have paired the phone to the Zumo or your Harmon Kardon stereo? Once you pair a phone it remembers it and will re-pair whenever you are in range. I have a TomTom Go730 that I purchased for the sole reason of it having an external audio-out jack to hook up to my H-K Stereo. Imagine my surprise one day when I forgot to hook up the stereo cable and started hearing GPS directions through my headphones. The GPS paired itself to my H-K Stereo as a phone. Worked great the whole trip and no wire sticking out of the face of my stereo!

Unfortunately I think the Zumo 660 is like the 550 and is purposely designed that BT on the phone only works in the car cradle. Product liability.

As in a previous post I am thinking about trading my 08 CVO Ultra for a 011 but the dealer is telling me I can put my phone module from my 08 in and it will work the same as now, is that possible?

Well I have contacted HD and they wouldn't let me talk to tech support they say that is for dealers only, so contacted dealer and they talked to tech support and was told that the set up on the 2011 RGU (Zumo 660) doesn't allow phone calls to come though and there isn't a integration module to allow this. Also contacted J&M and they don't have anything at present either. Contacted Cycle Gadgets and they told me if the phone audio came though that they had a module to allow the mic into the headset to be operational. Tried every thing to get phone audio to headset with no luck. contacted Garmin and was informed that the zumo 660 was different from the Zumo 550 in that it has two audio out contacts on the mount and HD may have only use the one for driving audio commands thus explaining why I can't get the phone audio. I have the shop manual and CVO supplement manual on order, hoping that the schematics or clear. If they are clear and all that is need is to integrate the other audio out and then purchase the module from Cycle Gadgets I should be in business. And the drama with HD continues!!

Just who in the right mind wants to talk on the phone while riding? Thats why I ride to get away from it. Just saying :)

The key is not why...but having the option to do so "seamlessly" is really what the modern sound system on a touring machine should be capable of, given the modern Bluetooth and development of audio and video wireless technology. One step away would be heads up helmet display. True, we are not piloting an F16, but then if communications were hands free, the rider would have more control, with less physical distractions...the automatic functions taking care of themselves.

Back