free website stats program 2011 Fatboy starts when hot, turns over slow | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Fatboy starts when hot, turns over slow

davidfb

After an hour or so ride on the times I stop for gas and start it turns over slow and kinda makes a clunk like noise. So far it has always started. Only does it when I just shut off for a few minutes( I would say 5-10 minutes)
If I stop to eat or somewhere where I leave it off 1/2 hour or so no problem.
I bought my Fatboy new and only have 6304 miles on it.
I usually ride it at least once a week for an hour or so.

I would check your battery connections and have the battery load tested. Sounds like your battery is at least 3 yrs old.
tourbox

Thanks connections are tight, battery is about 3 years old. I keep it on the battery
tender but will get it tested.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Check your battery voltage first, full charge should be 12.7, hook up volt meter to battery, hit the start button, if the voltage drops below 10 volts load test or replace battery. Be sure to charge new battery before riding so as not to over tax your charging system

Went by my Harley shop they put it on the battery machine, checked out good
voltage 12.70 , 315 CCA
They said they did not think I was keeping the starter engaged long enough when hot.

The starter on my 08 Fat Boy was notorious for lagging, grinding, and skipping when hot. Checked everything, and everything checked ok. No HD shop had an answer, and even doubted it could be the starter.

Well, I changed to a starter with 0.2 more amps. It hasn't skipped a cog in 10,000 miles in the heat of a cross country and pack of Rolling Thunder.

Worked for me.

Last edited:
Have you checked your compensator? It could be where your clunking noise comes from. Mine was doing the same, put in a SE compensator, the clunk was gone and it started right up when hot.

Na, try another brand of gas. Better yet go to non-ethanol gas. The piston strokes are working against each other. It's the way the gas is igniting. crappy gas. My Heritage has almost 100,000 miles on it now and now that I'm in Idaho I use non-ethanol gas all the time and it almost never does it. California(ethanol) before and it did it all the time. If no non-ethanol is available use CHEVRON.

Back