free website stats program 2011 dyna superglide question | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 dyna superglide question

rooti

I just bought a 2011 dyna superglide custom because the wife started riding with me and the sporty was just a little small for both of us.

Since I ride 50/50 solo/2up, I need to adjust the shocks. I have the owners manuel but the shock adjustment is not explained well. I know I have to have it in position 3 for solo and 5 for 2 up. Since it has a cover on the actual postions whats the easiest way to adjust it back and forth from 3 to 5, 5 to 3?

What is throwing my off is the flat picture in the manuel and not being able to go past 1 to 5.

Can somebody explain in simple terms?
Thanks

I just bought a 2011 dyna superglide custom because the wife started riding with me and the sporty was just a little small for both of us.

Since I ride 50/50 solo/2up, I need to adjust the shocks. I have the owners manuel but the shock adjustment is not explained well. I know I have to have it in position 3 for solo and 5 for 2 up. Since it has a cover on the actual postions whats the easiest way to adjust it back and forth from 3 to 5, 5 to 3?

What is throwing my off is the flat picture in the manuel and not being able to go past 1 to 5.

Can somebody explain in simple terms?
Thanks

Harley Davidson Community have a look here first then look at your owners manual again, Welcome to The Forum:s shocks adjust one cam at a time

I have a spammer wrench and know how to use it, thats not the issue.
When you turn it counterclockwise until it stops are you then in position 1? Then you turn it clockwise 1 click at a time to three (solo) then 2 more clicks to 5 (for 2up)? Is that right?

Would have been much simpler to just have numbered markers...

If you lay flat on your back next to the shock you can look up into the shock and see what position it is in. You should be able to see all 5 indents....at least you can on mine. Also the positions they explain in the manual are suggestions. I ride solo most of the time and have my shocks in the 5th position. I am 250 lbs and ride with a 25 lb bag on my sissy bar going to work and back. You'll want to ride the bike and decide for yourself what is the best. i was bottoming out in position 3 so turned it up to 5 and have no problems anymore. Some will say you may wear your rear tires more if you run the shocks in position 5 but I got almost 12k out of my rear tire running that way. Bottom line is you can set the shocks and test ride to see if it does what you need.

You can't go from 1 to 5, or 5 to 1 because it is a ramp type system of notches, and it's too big of a jump, might break the weld on the tabs or hurt the person holding the wrench. Once you figure out the 2 positions you will be using, you can make an unobtrusive mark for reference.

Thanks whacko, I'll try looking underneath. Such a simple thing made hard by the instructions.
First ride I went 2 up I thought I was in position 5 and found out later I was in 3. That explains why it felt like one of tires was going flat. Even though I never bottomed out, I think I was at the end of the shock travel in some of the tighter turns.

Making a mark on position 5 and 3 is also a great suggestion.

Thanks

Progressive says to adjust the shock until you get an inch of sag. That is what I did. Of course it will take three people to do this with your 2nd rider on.

Don't know if this is what you mean,but on my 0-11'there is an arrow on the bottom shock mount to indicate which position the shock is in.
Sorry if this isn't what you mean.

Back