free website stats program 2011-2012 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011-2012

Chuck60 is right, every where. I looked for a rattle, it seemed to be coming from cam, primary, transmission, turned out to be the lens on the fender tip light!

Ok I went to the dealer and had them listen to the noise I was hearing and they acted like they didn't really here it. After I insisted there was a noise there they took the bike back and when they brought it out they said it had to have the cluch adjusted and some of the heat shields tightened. I tightened the heat shields when I did my service, the cluch seems to be adjusted but the (EDIT)
noise is still there that they don't seem to hear. I don't no what else to do other then just ride it and deal with it.:newsmile058:

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an on going problem with the weak trap door on the 6 speeds, have your dealer get a tech from h D to ride the bike, or try a nother deler

Looks like an on going problem with the weak trap door on the 6 speeds, have your dealer get a tech from h D to ride the bike, or try a nother deler[/QUOTE

Jack Klarich what do you mean weak trap door, that's the first I've heard that, The tech did ride the bike but that is not the problem. The problem is in neutral the bike makes a chatter noise and some times sounds like there is a metal marble moving around on the right side of the transmission. I don't no what else to do, they act as I am the only one who hears it. I am begging to have 2nd thoughts on weather I should have kept my 08 RK witch was about paid off and I don't like second guessing my self.

Looks like an on going problem with the weak trap door on the 6 speeds, have your dealer get a tech from h D to ride the bike, or try a nother deler[/QUOTE

Jack Klarich what do you mean weak trap door, that's the first I've heard that, The tech did ride the bike but that is not the problem. The problem is in neutral the bike makes a chatter noise and some times sounds like there is a metal marble moving around on the right side of the transmission. I don't no what else to do, they act as I am the only one who hears it. I am begging to have 2nd thoughts on weather I should have kept my 08 RK witch was about paid off and I don't like second guessing my self.

What Jack was referring to is the side "door" of the transmission underneath the chrome side cover that houses the bearings that locate the shafts that support the gears inside the trans. If you notice when you ride the bike and give it some throttle and then let off, the clutch lever will actually move if you hold slight strain on it to remove the cable lash. This is the "trap door" flexing under the load of the helical gears that create side thrust.The answer to this is to make the "trap door" a bit better to eliminate this problem.

The better transmissions like Baker and a few others have addresses this problem and don't have it but the MOCO just says that it's a normal thing.:newsmile058:

I feel it's a "normal thing" for a transmission that is sub standard.

Mine 2010 did the same. Noisy in nuetral with the clutch out. In gear no noise. Inner primary bearing was R & R under warranty at 25k. It is still noisy in my opinion but not a loud grinding noise as before the bearing was replaced. At 35k the noise has not gotten any louder. I have an extended warranty so I am going to keep riding it and if it gets louder back it goes for another bearing. Good luck!

My 2011 FLTRX same noise they changed bearings in tranny...after a long drawen out ordeal ...rep's tec's ...long story short still has noise ...no metal
oil... put some spectro 75w140 in... my opinion its not worth the worry...some
are noisey i have put 8000 miles since... it shifts just fine...i know of two other bikes i ride with both new same noise...enjoy your bike...if i had it to do over i would have not had let them tear it down ...lost ride time i will never get back..

Re: 2011-2012http://www.hdtimeline.com/images/yahoo_smile/2.gif

I had the same problem with my 2011 ultra limited the rattle in neutral was so loud my riding buddies could hear it sitting next to me at a stop. Took it in to Latus H.D. they pulled the side cover off and did all they could on the out side. they call the factory they said do not dismantle it they were shipping a new gear cluster and to put it in and ship the old one back they were having some problems and need it to study.This was at 850 miles i now have 13000 and it is perfect in every way I'm using spectro 80-140 syn. gear oil. i wish you good luck i'm glad i have a good dealer. This excuse they all do that sounds like B.M.W's answer when they haven't a clue.

olbill

Back