free website stats program 2011-2012 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011-2012

chuck60

Has any one with the newer bikes that has had the chatter from the transmission gotten it fixed or is the noise still there. Mine seems to have gotten louder since I changed the transmission oil and put in a thicker gear oil ( gear saver ) I think I'm going to take my bike back to the dealer and refuse to leave until they fix it. It is the only thing that is wrong with this bike other then that I love the bike.

be prepaired for the "its within tollerance" line. i do hope they have fixed it
my '09 t/g clunks loudly, save up for a baker trany.then send willey the bill!

chuck60; from what I heard/read - Bel-Ray's pretty good stuff...guessing you put in 80W? My FLHX is a 2009, but I had best luck w/Spectro 6-speed GO which made shifting much smoother & reduced whine to little-none.

When you say "chatter" is there tranny noise all the time (idle/slow/fast), or just certain times/gears?

chuck60; from what I heard/read - Bel-Ray's pretty good stuff...guessing you put in 80W? My FLHX is a 2009, but I had best luck w/Spectro 6-speed GO which made shifting much smoother & reduced whine to little-none.

When you say "chatter" is there tranny noise all the time (idle/slow/fast), or just certain times/gears?

It only doe's it when it's in neutral, if I pull the cluch in it stops. when I first start the bike up it won't do it, but after a short ride and with the bike in neutral it starts and will do it as long as the transmission is warm.

Are you sure the problem is not in the clutch or the primary chain? When you say the noise stops when you pull in the clutch it would seem that the noise may not be inside the tranny.

Are you sure the problem is not in the clutch or the primary chain? When you say the noise stops when you pull in the clutch it would seem that the noise may not be inside the tranny.

The place I hear it is on the right side only, I have had my wife pull the cluch in when i was on both sides of the bike with my ear next to the primary side and the tranns side and it is definitely coming from the tranns side.

The place I hear it is on the right side only, I have had my wife pull the cluch in when i was on both sides of the bike with my ear next to the primary side and the tranns side and it is definitely coming from the tranns side.

I understand what you are saying but noise has a weird way of traveling and where you hear it may not be the source. I had a noise on my bike this year and I would swear it was coming from the cam chain area (so did the HD tech and everyone that listen to it) and it was driving me crazy, I took the inspection cover off and the cam chain along with the tensioner looked brand new and I have over 45K on the bike so the next thing I was considering was the cam bearings. Anyway I figured that the bike had a extended warranty so I would ride it for awhile and see what happens. The noise was still there and got worst and finally I could not stand it anymore so I decided to do some more checking and guess what!!!! The noise was coming from the EXHAUST BAFFLE at the rear end of the bike, the baffle would vibrate and through time it slotted the set screw opening in the exhaust pipe, so I drilled a new hole in the exhaust pipe a 1/4 turn from the original hole and put the baffle in and tighten the screw & the noise was gone. I know this is a long story but where you hear the noise may not be where the noise comes from.

I understand what you are saying but noise has a weird way of traveling and where you hear it may not be the source. I had a noise on my bike this year and I would swear it was coming from the cam chain area (so did the HD tech and everyone that listen to it) and it was driving me crazy, I took the inspection cover off and the cam chain along with the tensioner looked brand new and I have over 45K on the bike so the next thing I was considering was the cam bearings. Anyway I figured that the bike had a extended warranty so I would ride it for awhile and see what happens. The noise was still there and got worst and finally I could not stand it anymore so I decided to do some more checking and guess what!!!! The noise was coming from the EXHAUST BAFFLE at the rear end of the bike, the baffle would vibrate and through time it slotted the set screw opening in the exhaust pipe, so I drilled a new hole in the exhaust pipe a 1/4 turn from the original hole and put the baffle in and tighten the screw & the noise was gone. I know this is a long story but where you hear the noise may not be where the noise comes from.

I am taking the bike to the dealer today and I'm hoping they find what ever this noise is, I have only 825 miles on it so I don't think it should coast me anything but my time, and I'm willing to give that for them to check the bike over.
I already did my 1st service so they won't need to do that.

I have been using full Synthetic and it good be that I just have gotten use to the noise but it does seem not as loud as before. I did take my bike and and had the dealer look at it (Daytona and Jacksonville dealers) when it was still under warrenty...Both said that it was ok and that they where within tolorences.

Chuck60 is right, every where. I looked for a rattle, it seemed to be coming from cam, primary, transmission, turned out to be the lens on the fender tip light!

Back