free website stats program 2010 Ultra Glide Classic (Cam) chain drive vs Gear drive | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Ultra Glide Classic (Cam) chain drive vs Gear drive

67wizard

Today I had a chat with a wrench in the Victory shop about the chain driven
cams in the Harley. He said I should change them to gear drive because the chain will fail in another couple of thousand miles and maybe freeze the motor.
Every time I ask a question somebody want to sped my money for me. I have a warranty and will get the extended one before this one runs out. What are your thoughts about the chain breaking vs the gear drive? Later I might change the cams to the 204's and vance and hines xpipe headers. Also he said vance and hines has a fuel pack that will adjust automaticaly.
Thanks for you input. Hope I don't bore you with my questions but it cost a lot of money for these changes. I would like to do it only once.
Thanks

Hey Wizard, with the warranty you have nothing to worry about, ESP will cover the engine after the 24 month runs out, if the pads ever go they will pay for everything, If you listen to a snowmoble wrench and install gear drives, you kiss the warranty good bye. The gear drives are a must for a real high performance engine because of tight timing tolerances needed for radical cams. Will everyone reading this raise their hand if they have over a couple of thousand miles on their chain driven Harley's, there you go Wizard. You have a top of the line 2010 Ultra, if you want to spend some money, buy a baseball bat and next time someone sticks their hand in your pocket, hit them with it, it will feel better then gear drive cams.

07 and up have the later system that has so far been trouble free infact that what the up grade is to repalce the 99-06 trouble prone system .. why would ya ask a victory guy anyways isnt he to busy helping out buck rogers ?

Ok thanks guys. You are the best. I just happened to be a Vic shop
with a friend and one thing let to another and before long he was trying to spend my money. He was showing us the shop and said bet you can't do that in a Harley shop. Well I said the two shops that I have delt with are very willing to let me see their work. Oh buy the way my friend said he wouldn't buy a space ship, he would buy a harley like I did.

Ok thanks guys. You are the best. I just happened to be a Vic shop
with a friend and one thing let to another and before long he was trying to spend my money. He was showing us the shop and said bet you can't do that in a Harley shop. Well I said the two shops that I have delt with are very willing to let me see their work. Oh buy the way my friend said he wouldn't buy a space ship, he would buy a harley like I did.
Next time you go slumming take things with a grain of salt, you half scared Hobbit to death with that chain fail thing:) :) :)

Next time you go slumming take things with a grain of salt, you half scared Hobbit to death with that chain fail thing:) :) :)

Sorry Hobbit I didn't mean to scare you. See Iam old and this is my first harley. I have alot of knowledge in other areas but this harley thing is all new to me. I think with the knowledge you guys have you can keep me out of trouble. I hope.

Hey Wizard, with the warranty you have nothing to worry about, ESP will cover the engine after the 24 month runs out, if the pads ever go they will pay for everything, If you listen to a snowmoble wrench and install gear drives, you kiss the warranty good bye. The gear drives are a must for a real high performance engine because of tight timing tolerances needed for radical cams. Will everyone reading this raise their hand if they have over a couple of thousand miles on their chain driven Harley's, there you go Wizard. You have a top of the line 2010 Ultra, if you want to spend some money, buy a baseball bat and next time someone sticks their hand in your pocket, hit them with it, it will feel better then gear drive cams.
Oh my Goodness Chopper - you do have a way with words :))))))) I like reading your posts!!

Sorry Hobbit I didn't mean to scare you. See Iam old and this is my first harley. I have alot of knowledge in other areas but this harley thing is all new to me. I think with the knowledge you guys have you can keep me out of trouble. I hope.

The Forum members are very willing to help you spend your money. But we usually help you to spend it WISELY (chrome is wise to a point). :newsmile093:
When you do enter the "off brand" shops, just give them the blank look and nod your head occasionally as they knock Harleys. Let them blab, it's all they got.:newsmile08:

The new hydraulic tensioners that Harley switched to in '07 will give you years and years of trouble free riding...doesnt even compare to the older spring tensioners...Porsche has been using the hydraulic tensioner design in their air cooled engines for years...this is where Harley actually got the idea from..you can argue hydraulic vs gear drive all day long and never come up with a clear winner...jmo

I rode metric bikes for years (Goldwings, etc.) because I believed all the horror stories I was told about Harleys breaking down, always leaving you stranded, engines needing a rebuild after 30,000miles, little power, and on and on....then I bought my /09 Ultra!! Now I know all those stories were just that...stories. My Ultra has performed flawlessly and continues to do so. Every ride is a joy!

Back