free website stats program 2010 Ultra ABS brake lever feel? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Ultra ABS brake lever feel?

I just bought an 010 Ultra Limited.

I was going to start a thread on this same issue. The front brake lever is really easy to pull and pulls in much further than my 09 Road King. It freaked me out at first but it stops on a dime. After my break in ride and a ride the next day, I got used to it. It's still "soft". I didn't ask the dealer about it yet as I just picked it up this past Saturday and I have to work (to pay for these toys - whoops, I mean serious machines).

I have a long Chapter ride this Saturday and I'll have the dealer look at it when I get back into town Saturday afternoon. She'll be nice and broke in for our ride to Laughlin! I hope the front brake isn't an issue.
Hi Larry

Would love to hear what your dealer says. I have been fighting this issue since I bought the bike in October. Like you said the feel really freeks you out the first time you pull it. I am actually picking mine up today it has been sitting at the dealer since last friday. Supposedly they say they fixed it. I will let you know what they found and if they fixed it .

Joe

Hi Larry

Would love to hear what your dealer says. I have been fighting this issue since I bought the bike in October. Like you said the feel really freeks you out the first time you pull it. I am actually picking mine up today it has been sitting at the dealer since last friday. Supposedly they say they fixed it. I will let you know what they found and if they fixed it .

Joe
By the way

Did your road king have ABS? Because there is a dif between brake lever feel on ABS and Non ABS bikes.

Joe 2007, I had, and still have the same issue. If I pump the front brake, it will get firm. Back brake is OK. At my 1k service, I asked them to fix the play in the front brake. They said all they need to do is squeeze the front brake as much as possible and "tie it off" in that position overnight and it will release any trapped air in the system. It didn't work so I will be asking them to bleed the front system. I guess they are reluctant to bleed it off as the ABS apparently needs recalibrating via the computer afterwards.

Joe 2007, I had, and still have the same issue. If I pump the front brake, it will get firm. Back brake is OK. At my 1k service, I asked them to fix the play in the front brake. They said all they need to do is squeeze the front brake as much as possible and "tie it off" in that position overnight and it will release any trapped air in the system. It didn't work so I will be asking them to bleed the front system. I guess they are reluctant to bleed it off as the ABS apparently needs recalibrating via the computer afterwards.
ultralimited.

Same exact problem I have. Just picked it up from dealer today. They bleed it again and took the calipers off and checked everything. Seems to be better, the tell will be in a couple of days. If it gets real soft again its time to get MOCO involved. I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. I rode it today for about 125 miles and seems to be good. Will be doing some nice rideing this weekend. I will let you know how it holds up. Let me know how you make out ??

Ultralimited

They tell me that the double pull is normal on the ABS bikes. I don't buy it, Why would anyone design a brake system that requiers the operator to pull twice to get max brakeing. Its insane.

Joe2007,now you had to throw a fly in the ointment.We are shopping for a 2010 ultra and I had decided that I wanted ABS.Being my first" big " bike ,I figured I should get all the help possible.Everyone I've talked to says, get it.Keep us posted on the outcome.

MLRC

I am so fustrated with this I wish I never bought an ABS bike , The only advice I would give you is go ride both bikes ABS and Non ABS before your buy.

I have a 2009 Street Glide with the ABS. I have never had a problem with the system. I have never had to use the " double pull" method. The brake lever feels just as solid as non-ABS. I don't buy this line of (EDIT) that they're trying to sell. I think you may have to get the MOCO involved. The braking system is a sealed unit which means there should be no air in the system, which means there is no need to " double pull" or pump the brakes. If that was the case, the ABS would be useless because that is exactly what the ABS is supposed to do. This is another case of the dealership not living up to its obligations to the consumer.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2009 Street Glide with the ABS. I have never had a problem with the system. I have never had to use the " double pull" method. The brake lever feels just as solid as non-ABS. I don't buy this line of (EDIT) that they're trying to sell. I think you may have to get the MOCO involved. The braking system is a sealed unit which means there should be no air in the system, which means there is no need to " double pull" or pump the brakes. If that was the case, the ABS would be useless because that is exactly what the ABS is supposed to do. This is another case of the dealership not living up to its obligations to the consumer.
Glyd-n

I agree with you. A closed Hyd system should never be able to be compressed. Hyd fluid does not compress. The only way it can is if there is a bypass or if there is air in the system. But I guess the Harley techs don't understand physics. Cosidering that after this last bleed mine feels better not perfect but better. I wonder if the digitech bleeder is not doing a perfect bleed job. Or whom ever is useing it doesn't know what they are doing. My next phone call is to MOCO.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 09 has never for one second acted like what yall are describing. I guess I got one of the good ones.:D

Back