free website stats program 2010 Throttle Lag on Cruise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Throttle Lag on Cruise

Just got back from the first real ride on my 2010 Electra Glide Classic. I have a question about the "throttle by wire" system. When I have the cruise control set, and I want to increase my speed to pass, the throttle has to turn about 3/4 inch before it accelerates any! Is this NORMAL? Any info will be appreciated, before I call the dealer on tuesday.
Thanks
Bob

I know this is probably a silly question, but does the 2010 electronic cruise control have a "RESUME/ACCEL" mode where it steps up or accelerates (from the previous setpoint) like in our cages?...

In my CRV and ol' Ranger I have noticed they had 3 modes of operation including this "3rd" setting: RUN (On), SET (DCCEL) & RESUME (ACCEL)? Just curious... :31:

Thanks. I'll call them tuesday and get it in. There are a couple of other issues that I hope they can do something with like the starter won't crank at times if it is in gear(with clutch pulled), severe brake squeal, fuel gauge off by 2 1/2 gallons, etc. Isn't it great getting a new bike and dealing with all the problems?
Bob

brake squeal there is a fix but problem comes back better off with different pads or turn up radio .. my gauge is off about a gallon so i havent bothered.. yes you would hope things would be better .. but it was built in 2.5 hours so there will be some problems

I know this is probably a silly question, but does the 2010 electronic cruise control have a "RESUME/ACCEL" mode where it steps up or accelerates (from the previous setpoint) like in our cages?...

In my CRV and ol' Ranger I have noticed they had 3 modes of operation including this "3rd" setting: RUN (On), SET (DCCEL) & RESUME (ACCEL)? Just curious... :31:

they have a set/decel and accel/resume

Last edited:
Just curious Bud, but did your transmission have a lot of whine when it was new? Mine sounds like a quite jet as your slowing down. Probably just breaking in but didn't notice anything like this when I got my new 2006. Difference in a 5 speed vs 6 speed?

i still have a whine that people complaine about in 5th gear but has got better as i put more miles on it

Thanks for the info. I need to take it in for some other items as well. I still don't understand why it feels like it loses some rpm (or pull) when I give it throttle when the cruise is engaged and I am accelerating a little. Also the bike will drop 4 to 6 mph when going up a slight incline when on the hiway at 78mph. If the cruise is not set it climbs the same incline fine. Did I note that if the incline is much at all, I can twist the throttle to full throttle and it will not speed up at all? This is only when the cruise is set. If I go up that same stretch of hiway, at the same speed, Without the cruise set, I can accelerate with no problems.
It just doesn't seem correct.

Not sure if you got an answer to your cruise question, but I'll try to give you my spin on it.

When the cruise is set on TBW bikes, and the grip is allowed to find it's own rest (you let go), it returns to zero throttle. If you roll forward to negative throttle, it will disengage the cruise.

The throttle is controlled by the ecm and the stepper motor on the throttle plate, as well as the injectors. This motor is not as quick to react as the old throttle system (it has a lag), so if you dis-engage the cruise and then roll on, the slower you do this, the more the bike will decelerate, but the quicker you do it, the farther you will have to turn the throttle before your throttle grip position sensor = throttle plate position and then they will increase asa normal throttle would.
If you leave the cruise engaged and choose to accelerate, you will have to catch your grip postion up to the throttle position being held by the cruise. How much you have to twist it depends on the speed you are set at and the load your bike is under, which will be different for bikes and conditions.

Hope this helps.

Great explanation Lew. Very concise.:s

Back