free website stats program 2010 Street Glide SE | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Street Glide SE

Jick Scott

One of the local HD dealerships had demo rides yesterday and today, with all 2010 models. I felt I had pretty well made up my mind on the Road King until I took a ride on the Street Glide SE with the 110 cubic inch engine. As unfamiliar as I am with any HD motorcycles, I was very impressed with the ride and the power. Since becoming a member of this forum, I have a great deal of respect for the experience and comments of the moderators and other members concerning the different bikes offered by HD. So any information I could get regarding this bike and especially the engine would be greatly appreciated, since this will increase my purchase price by another $10K. Thanks for your time.

They haven't ironed out the bugs with the 110 motor. Many had the problem with the rear cylinder overheating and damaging the motor. I would sidestep the 110 for a while till they upgrade the parts.

As glider stated "motor issues with the 110".Personaly I own an 08 96"streetglide and am very happy with its performance after a stage 1 and slip ons.

I have an underlying beliefe that the new offering of the 103" Ultra is a way of telling us they screwed up with the 110 motor.

Call me paranoid, just throwing it out there.

I have to agree with the other posters and pass on the 110. I've had lots of fast bikes, Yamaha R-1, MV Agusta Brutale 910, etc... but the 96 is a sweet motor with lots of usable torque. I'm very satisfied with mine and have a hard time justifying the $$$$'s for the small gains.

I have to agree with the rest of the posters. After installing the Stage 1 upgrade and slip-ons, the 103ci motor on my bike is everything I need and more.

Thanks again for your time, just what I was looking and hoping for. It's so nice knowing you have a place to get information about stuff you know very little about. Glider, do you and Hobbit have a life? You guys sure put some time in here.

Jick,
You've come to the right place for information. I have learned many things from reading the different Threads on this site. That said; keep in mind some of what you read is merely ones opinion and it’s sometimes difficult to separate that from facts.
I have had so many different motorcycles over my 35 years of riding I have lost track of the number of them. However in just the last 3 years I’ve become a Harley owner. The first Harley was a 2007 Low Rider and finally a 2009 Street Glide. Like many here, my main objective was simply to free up the intake and exhaust to get the most practical potential from the engine. I first need to say, that I’m not interested in making large horse power numbers. I prefer reliability and enhancements that will improve the engines efficiency. Now that I have opened up the air intake a bit and exhaust, my interest is with the valve train set up. I would like to install a roller rocker lifter set up, and gear drive cam on the mild side. Knowing this is costly I’ll most likely put it off for a while and just enjoy what I have.
When it comes down to fuel issues the subject is wide open for opinions. Everyone has their own justification for product brand names and the amount of cash they are willing to spend on different brands. Something to keep in mind is wither you have intentions on making significant engine modifications especially regarding cam changes where timing and fuel delivery issues become more important. At the present time based on the minor enhancements I’ve made with the exhaust slip-ons (Vance & Hines standard ovals) and a Screaming Eagle air filter set up I felt comfortable simply trying out the Screaming Eagle flash download. It amounted to having the Dealership have the bike for about 20 minutes at a cost of around $150. Though at first a little apprehensive, I was pleasantly relieved to discover how nice and responsive the engine felt. I have no flat spots, no sudden surges, no annoying backfire and my engine idle RPM is dead smooth at about 900 at idle. An added bonus is that my fuel mileage is great averaging about 280 plus miles between fill-ups. In fact on a recent trip to Montana I saw at one point 300 miles calculated after filling up. I have had no engine heat issues even in 90 degree extremes other than heat increasing at prolonged waits. This is not surprising with any engine that relies on air passing over it as its only means of cooling. Even so, I have not experienced the engine going into parade mode. The download was inexpensive, no hardware added, no messing with, Dealer installed product and no dyno time.
When and if I make more critical engine component changes, I’ll consider more advanced tuning possibilities.
Good luck to ya!

Jick,
You've come to the right place for information. I have learned many things from reading the different Threads on this site. That said; keep in mind some of what you read is merely ones opinion and it’s sometimes difficult to separate that from facts.
I have had so many different motorcycles over my 35 years of riding I have lost track of the number of them. However in just the last 3 years I’ve become a Harley owner. The first Harley was a 2007 Low Rider and finally a 2009 Street Glide. Like many here, my main objective was simply to free up the intake and exhaust to get the most practical potential from the engine. I first need to say, that I’m not interested in making large horse power numbers. I prefer reliability and enhancements that will improve the engines efficiency. Now that I have opened up the air intake a bit and exhaust, my interest is with the valve train set up. I would like to install a roller rocker lifter set up, and gear drive cam on the mild side. Knowing this is costly I’ll most likely put it off for a while and just enjoy what I have.
When it comes down to fuel issues the subject is wide open for opinions. Everyone has their own justification for product brand names and the amount of cash they are willing to spend on different brands. Something to keep in mind is wither you have intentions on making significant engine modifications especially regarding cam changes where timing and fuel delivery issues become more important. At the present time based on the minor enhancements I’ve made with the exhaust slip-ons (Vance & Hines standard ovals) and a Screaming Eagle air filter set up I felt comfortable simply trying out the Screaming Eagle flash download. It amounted to having the Dealership have the bike for about 20 minutes at a cost of around $150. Though at first a little apprehensive, I was pleasantly relieved to discover how nice and responsive the engine felt. I have no flat spots, no sudden surges, no annoying backfire and my engine idle RPM is dead smooth at about 900 at idle. An added bonus is that my fuel mileage is great averaging about 280 plus miles between fill-ups. In fact on a recent trip to Montana I saw at one point 300 miles calculated after filling up. I have had no engine heat issues even in 90 degree extremes other than heat increasing at prolonged waits. This is not surprising with any engine that relies on air passing over it as its only means of cooling. Even so, I have not experienced the engine going into parade mode. The download was inexpensive, no hardware added, no messing with, Dealer installed product and no dyno time.
When and if I make more critical engine component changes, I’ll consider more advanced tuning possibilities.
Good luck to ya!

This is not to question you at all- it's to clarify my understanding- so please don't take this post to be argumentative, because it is not intended that way at all.

I am not sure that I understand how one does not risk damaging the engine by changing out the airbox and adding slip-ons, without adding fuel?? My understanding is that the Stage 1 Dealer download ONLY increases the rev limiter?? If that's the case, doesn't the configuration that this poster describes need a fuel manager of some sort?

Like I said- just trying to better my understanding here. THANKS!

Just a note here about the downloads from the dealer.

These downloads are tailored to the HD parts and only return the AFR back to factory lean conditions that it was before the modifications were done where a fueler can be adjusted in many ways depending on the brand chosen. The downloads are supposed to add 5% fuel across the board and raise the rev limit which is really a waste with a stock motor because they cannot breathe very well above 5K and all you are doing it spinning it over without producing much more power and shortening the life of the engine if you do it regularly.

Much better IMO with some sort of fueler rather than the download.

Back