free website stats program 2010 Sportster 48 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Sportster 48

Randall K. Wilson

I have read about and seen in the flesh, the new HD Sportster 48. Honestly I still "don't get", (the significance of the "48".) In the spirit of education please set me on the right path.

Yep, Hobbit would know.

It's the birth year of the peanut tank for HD. 1948.

Now, just how much riding you're going to get from 2.2 gallons, I just don't get it? But, my goodness, it is a sharp looking bike.

When i had my sportster , back in 1976 , after 90 miles i started looking for a gas station . Didn't matter what your seat was like always had to stop for gas every 1 1/2 hrs .

Significance is a "relative" term, "relevance" is more appropriate...the new rider of an HD has higher expectations regarding ride, handling and performance with an eye on the basics open to customization, cost and of course it is black. Most of us old timers come from the chrome and spokes crowd and too "nostalgic" and not enough "new wave", goth, vampire, high tech electronic junkie, instant gratification crowd...uh-uh I am starting to fit into some of 'em...! LOL Fat tires, bobed plain look ready for personalization...what is not to like...

Well to me the Peanut tank is what makes the Sportster. Always has been. It gives it a special place in the line up of of machines the motor company makes. Knowing the range of it on a trip I would never own a Sportster unless I had an an additional larger Harley for trip purposes.

The new 48 spins my beanie in general, but honestly I would prefer chrome wheels and spokes (an I think that is an option), and not as much blacked out effect in general. I'm not much of a blackout machine guy. Give me the the shiny stuff please!~

I love the stock pipes, very cool.

All said and done, my vote on this new "Piglet" is in the affirmative.:a

Did you guys notice that along with the fatter front tire, it has alloy fender brace and beefier forks...sounds like the old Sportster "dirt bike of yesteryear...more like a "roadster" JMO!!!

Saw one at my local dealer - suprised it's still sitting in the showroom (economy, maybe). Like the old dirt-oval racer look & wouldn't mind adding one to my stable, but wife would pretty much make me sleep in garage w/it. Hey wait, would that be all so bad???...;)

I love the sporty with the peanut tank look. It is "time traditional" I get rankled when I hear " it's a girl's bike" and stuff like that. i would have to move the seat back, put on mini apes and forward controls to make it fit me. And if it wasn't such a rough ride I would not hesitete to own and enjoy one. Too many ailments and too much age for me to endure the harsh ride. That being said, long live the sporty.

Back