free website stats program 2010 SG too lean? | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 SG too lean?

retgi

I have a 10' SG and installed the FI-1254ST and added the V&H power duals with their High Output mufflers and the Kuryakyn Street Sleeper A/C all at the same time. Now with 1500 miles on this setup at the recommended settings the inside of the mufflers still look as if they are new. Don't get me wrong, all runs fine but I'm a little concerned that maybe things are too lean. I thought after 1500 miles that there should be a little grayish color to the inside of pipes. thanks
Pete

They all come too lean from the factory. Check your plugs as what ya want is a slight chocolate brown. Sounds like ya need to richen up your fuel management system a little bit. Plugs tele the tale.

Gotta try and find the spot in the middle of black and concrete gray. Now that ethanol is pretty much a mandated happening anywhere in the country I am again trying to make the adjustments back to the middle.

They all come too lean from the factory. Check your plugs as what ya want is a slight chocolate brown. Sounds like ya need to richen up your fuel management system a little bit. Plugs tele the tale.

Wasn't that was part of the reason for adding the TFI, to richen it up somewhat?

Gotta try and find the spot in the middle of black and concrete gray. Now that ethanol is pretty much a mandated happening anywhere in the country I am again trying to make the adjustments back to the middle.

I use ethanol free 75% of the time....

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the federal gov, Uncle Sam, mandated ethonal nation wide it is getting real hard to find the fuel we all truly want for our rides. Hard to say what is being mixed at the refinery. Gov wants to mix up to 15%. Supposed to be labeled on pump.

I use ethanol free 75% of the time....

Let's not forget the reason why the ETOH was added to the fuel to start with. It was added to increase the octane of the fuel because the methyl tert-butyl ether was removed. Just finding alky free fuel is not the challenge. It's finding alky free fuel that still has methyl tert-butyl ether in it.

Alky free fuel along with also being methyl tert-butyl ether free, would not be something that would work very well.

Not sure on this but my guess is the methyl tert-butyl ether gave us the tan plugs we still look for in a proper mixture.

smitty901, I do understand what you are saying. What I am saying is if you can get into your TFI management system and retain the original mapping from the spendy dino and richen up slightly in the 2000 -3200 rpm running range and see if it makes a difference for your application it might be worth it. Nothing radical, just 1 or 2 numbers, but has to be done in that block in your map. If not, change it back.

smitty901, I do understand what you are saying. What I am saying is if you can get into your TFI management system and retain the original mapping from the spendy dino and richen up slightly in the 2000 -3200 rpm running range and see if it makes a difference for your application it might be worth it. Nothing radical, just 1 or 2 numbers, but has to be done in that block in your map. If not, change it back.

The TFI comes with SUGGESTED starting points.. I have found and am Sure the Dobeck techs will agree ::: Pot one (grn) needs to be adjusted to the Bike.. Directions say to warm bike to normal temp. Then place at 2000 RPM ... turning the #1 pot from under suggested setting to "UP" until the motor stumbles and says enough and too much ,,, (you will know) ,,, backing OFF the setting until it runs SMoooooth at that 2000 RPM.. This is the MAIN adjustment that NEEDS to be adjusted on each TFI to each bike and MIGHT be a little different than the suggested settings it came with...

Remember that settings are Suggested and need fine tune, especially the first pot..... Rest of my settings fell into their suggested ones!

On my TFI, I needed to go back into the Setting on pot ONE... IT was TOO Rich After installing SE255 cams.

The first pot(grn) needed to be Turned Down Just a WEE BIT from the suggested settings form Dobecks... Their suggested settings for my 09 FLHR full stage One, were Right On to start with but adding the cams required the PROPER setting on Pot #1 to be turned Down a bit to allow it to run EXCELLENTLY again...

signed....BUBBIE

Dobecks will be here shortly to give us the Right information after this week-end is over..

They are a PROUD MILITARY FAMILY and SALUTING "Veterans Day" just like All of us do..

Thanks Dobecks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty, Bubbie, I run a pc5. I don't know much about Dolbeck Product other than what I read on the forum. Never even heard of it. I do understand what you both are saying. I get into pc5 and tweek a few numbers slightly and see what happens. If not happy return to original map, or try differently. Bottom line is no better than a good Dyno and a tech that can run it. I respect what ya both have to say. I have learned a lot. Thanks Everybody, great forum.

Smitty, Bubbie, I run a pc5. I don't know much about Dolbeck Product other than what I read on the forum. Never even heard of it. I do understand what you both are saying. I get into pc5 and tweek a few numbers slightly and see what happens. If not happy return to original map, or try differently. Bottom line is no better than a good Dyno and a tech that can run it. I respect what ya both have to say. I have learned a lot. Thanks Everybody, great forum.
I don't feel any different than you do but I don't go for the $$$ Dyno tune and usually, I FLY By the Seat of my Pants..

Been working well for me and is Fun to do on my own (like you).
Great Forum and many ways to accomplish the same results..

signed....BUBBIE

Back