free website stats program 2010 Road Glide oil,tranny, primary change | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Road Glide oil,tranny, primary change

MrFah

I did my 1000 mile service last night and changed out the lubricants. I added 1 quart of tranny lube and the oil level on the dipstick only come to the "add" line. I added 4 quarts to the engine compartment and the oil level cold was to the full "hot" line. I pumped out half a quart-it's below full but still well above the half-way cold reading. I believe I got a good drain on the fluids but since it's the first time for changing them out I guess I'll have to learn its quirks. Perhaps since the bike's lowered a bit more I should have placed the back wheel on a 2x4.

Manual says check tranny fluid level on dipstick on the Jiffy stand as opposed to standing the bike straight up. Perhaps when the tranny heats up better the level will come up in the dipstick. I would think 32 oz of tranny fluid would be sufficient don't you?

Thanks for the feed back!

Don't worry about what the manual says - trust the dipstick. I like to sneak up on the right quantities. For example, manual says add 3 1/2 quarts to the motor. After plugging all the holes back up, I add 2 quarts and let it sit awhile. Check the dipstick and then go 1/2 quart at a time until it's above the add line. Take a short 5 or 10 minute ride and check it again immediately. Same philosophy with the tranny. Just my technique, of course.

Engine oil is always 3 1/2 quarts and top off as/if needed. There's always about 1/2 qt left in the oil galleries of the engine. Saves having to drain some out but the 3 1/2 qts usually does the trick.

The trans usually will take one quart to fill but check the stick when hot to be sure.

Primary is probably like previous years of the 96 engine at 38 ounces or fill to the bottom of the clutch basket.

Starterdrivefill.jpg

Last edited:
Back