free website stats program 2010 Heritage backrest medallion - how to remove? | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Heritage backrest medallion - how to remove?

Keithhu

Anyone done this? I'm trying to remove the silly medallion in the back, I've got a nice skull to replace it, problem is I dont see how its attached. The parts guy at the dealer suggested there's a screw behind the braided tassle, and I should just un-braid it to get to the screw. Tried that, no screw behind the tassle.

Is it glued on? Has anyone tried to remove the thing?

Most are adhered with the double sided attachment tape. The screws usually are to hold on the pad and are under the medallion. Try some heat with a hair drier or heat gun and lift one edge to see if it lifts up.

I think you are correct, it looks like I can peel it off, I wonder if i can heat it up and pluck the medallion off to get to a screw or if the whole thing is just attached via attachment tape. (or both)

Usually just the medallion uses the tape. Just put a credit card under the opposite side you lift on or it will leave a mark when it contacts, more important removing medallions off painted areas.

Great, will try that - I'll have to see what its like just getting the metal part off first, I was thinking that I would want to remove all of it ("leather" backing and all), but maybe that backing can stay if by taking the medallion off it exposes a hole where the screw would go for the skull replacement. The skull I'm putting on is large enough to cover most of the backrest insert

Update - turns out it is completely attached by double stick tape. Blow Dryer was a good suggestion. Getting the residual glue gunk off the chrome was a pain, but the results are good.

Attachments

• Photo-0020.jpg
    Photo-0020.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
Back