free website stats program 2010 FXDF Tire Changing | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 FXDF Tire Changing

Good job!!

Tire manufacturers used to put a paint dot (usually white or yellow) on the sidewall to mark the light point of the tire. That dot should then be lined up with the valve stem. I have not mounted a tire in the last couple of years that was marked.

I balanced the tires, but I did not line up any dot with the valve stem, hope thats not a problem. got the wheel back on. not sure about the belt tension if it is enough or not. i think its just below the bottom marker on the deflector shield gauge lines. i checked before i started, it was right at the bottom line.

I will say that I learned a heck of a lot about my bike with this job. last thing i have to do is buy the socket to take off the brake pad pin, replace the pad and reinstall the caliper.

Good job every time you pick up the tools it is a learning experience and the more wee jobs you do the less daunting the big jobs seem

Brian

:ap:ap:ap:bigsmiley8::cheers

Good for you.....
Just remember to ride easily for a couple hundred miles to break in tires......:s

Congrats on the tires. The brakes, piece of cake. All the work I've ever done on mine was learned from here and the manual.

By your success, I'm sure others are thinking about tackling tires themselves now. ( thank goodness I just got new tires this summer):D

Thanks for the updates, great reading.

Re: 2010 FXDF Tire Changing - new problem (brakes)

trying to get the new brake pads on, there is not enough room for the pads around the disc in the caliper. pushed the pistons in as far as they would seem to go, uncapped the master cylinder cover in hope to relieve the pressure.

as I said great learning experience, but I am stuck, so will call it a night.

trying to get the new brake pads on, there is not enough room for the pads around the disc in the caliper. pushed the pistons in as far as they would seem to go, uncapped the master cylinder cover in hope to relieve the pressure.

as I said great learning experience, but I am stuck, so will call it a night.

Are you using factory H.D. pads??? Sometimes aftermarket pads can be a touch thicker...

when you get stuck on something it is a good idea to go away and approach with a fresh head on another day

Brian

Are you using factory H.D. pads??? Sometimes aftermarket pads can be a touch thicker...

yes, they are HD pads. the pistons are those inner things around that is a silver ring. are those supposed to depress as well? the pistons only go in as far as those outer rigs, if that whole contraption would push in, then I think they would fit.

I think (based on my research) that the fluid somehow needs to be pushed back into the mc. the rear mc is in such a place its really hard to see how full it is and I unscrewed the cover hoping to relieve pressure to try and push back and fluid, but so far no go. those outrings won't budge.

looks like from the manual I have my parts wrong, the piston is the outer metal rings and those need to be pushed back in, so I will research how to do that, but looks like this is a nice educational task on brakes and most likely will need to bleed them.

Back