free website stats program 2010 FXDF Tire Changing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 FXDF Tire Changing

I use baby powder on the beads to make the removal and mounting of the tire much easier. If you want an easy way to balance the tire, use Dyna Beads. I, as well as many others here speak highly of them.

It's Saturday afternoon. Is that cuss jar full and any new words made yet?:D

Hope you had great success.

I bought some tire spoons, something to break beads, rim protectors, something to rotate the tire for balancing. my buddy changed his for the first time, he used the tie wrap method. I'm thinking the harder part will be getting the wheel off the bike.

Getting the wheel off the bike is the easy part. A little patience and you will be fine though. Good luck.

It's Saturday afternoon. Is that cuss jar full and any new words made yet?:D

Hope you had great success.

UPS lost it on wed when it was supposed to be delivered, so I am on hold while they investigate, before shop will send out a replacement. hopefully will hear something on Monday.

UPS lost it on wed when it was supposed to be delivered, so I am on hold while they investigate, before shop will send out a replacement. hopefully will hear something on Monday.

Maybe this is a omen??????:shock

I always change my own tyres I could take the wheels off and take to an independent dealer to change the tyres for me but I have been riding bikes for many years and have always changed my own tyres
Here is a link to a wee guide to how I do my tyres it had a bit more info when I first did it but seems to have been cut back at some point.

Brian

I changed all my tyres back in my race days on cross country bikes like 360cc Husqvarnas, 250cc Can Ams and 450cc Yamaha thumpers; so I know the drill.:s However these days, it's just not worth my time to wrestle with a 180mm or 150mm tire when the knee dragger independent shop around the corner will do it for $20.:hii

Still interested in how the OP views tire changing once he's done it; hope he will post is honest thoughts.:D

I changed all my tyres back in my race days on cross country bikes like 360cc Husqvarnas, 250cc Can Ams and 450cc Yamaha thumpers; so I know the drill.:s However these days, it's just not worth my time to wrestle with a 180mm or 150mm tire when the knee dragger independent shop around the corner will do it for $20.:hii

Still interested in how the OP views tire changing once he's done it; hope he will post is honest thoughts.:D

My widest tyre is a 130 and nearest indy that could do a tyre change is a 50 mile round trip and I find that radial tyres a lot easier to fit than cross ply and as I am the only person indy mechanic knows that changes their own tyres I might get a wee bit of abuse from him if I brought in a tyre for changing
Sometimes I just like doing things the hard way and as the bikes are all doing well I have to have a wee bit of a challenge now and then and the winters can drag on for a wee while :(

Brian

My widest tyre is a 130 and nearest indy that could do a tyre change is a 50 mile round trip and I find that radial tyres a lot easier to fit than cross ply and as I am the only person indy mechanic knows that changes their own tyres I might get a wee bit of abuse from him if I brought in a tyre for changing
Sometimes I just like doing things the hard way and as the bikes are all doing well I have to have a wee bit of a challenge now and then and the winters can drag on for a wee while :(

Brian

Makes sense. I have a friend in CA that rides a lot and rides hard; he is retired so can spend a lot more time on his bike than I can spend on mine and living in CA, he can ride year round. Anyway, he can't manage to get more than 4K-6K miles out of a back tire so he goes through at least two rear tires a year and if a long trip like from CA to TX is included, that will make three. So, he lives a bit off the grid, orders tires on line and does the R/R himself. If he lived next door, he would be changing my tires as well, just not as often.:hii

You guys that can get a tire R/R for $20 are lucky, it's $50 where I live, that's why I change my own.

Have you searched out a local independent shop that caters to road racers? Those shops typically charge much less than dealers or independents that cater to cruisers. Knee draggers tend to go through tires much faster than cruisers.:hii
WAP.gif

Back