free website stats program 2010 FLHX high pitch noise | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 FLHX high pitch noise

Here is what happened so far - took it into the dealer today and two techs rode it and of course, no ringing noise. On the way home, sure enough, it is still there - happens around 40 mph and becomes intermittent after that but it goes off more often than not at exactly 40 mph.

Again, just to see if it is transmission or engine related, I coasted at 40 mph (clutch squeezed in and throttle released) and that ringing noise was on for a good 5 seconds! I already tried duct tape where I think there is metal to metal contact and still not able to isolate it.

Dealer said just keep riding it and bring it back if noise becomes more obvious. I guess that is all I can do for now. Hoping that somebody out there has experienced this and can tell me exactly what is causing this ringing noise!

When you say or use the word "ringing", is it a sound similar to when you strike a tuning fork.

Yeah, I guess it is simillar to a tunning fork noise in terms of that is is not a rough ringing noise -- the pitch stays the same, it does not go up or down, it is constant. If this makes any sense, it sounds like you are saying "eeeeeee" in a high pitch tone.

Yeah, I guess it is simillar to a tunning fork noise in terms of that is is not a rough ringing noise -- the pitch stays the same, it does not go up or down, it is constant. If this makes any sense, it sounds like you are saying "eeeeeee" in a high pitch tone.

For me that does reduce the chances anything is wrong with the drive train mechanically. It does sound like wind causing a resonance since it happens at 40mph and is not RPM dependent. I would go with what Bubbie says in entry point #19. To decrease the number of times I would have to make a test run, really load it up with tape for your very first run. Cover every place you can find. Then if you happen to knock it out,, remove a few pieces at a time until the sound comes back..

It sounds like your heading in the right direction to me. I had a rattle for several months that was driving me crazy. It took a while but I did finally nail it down.
It will try your patience but you have a good plan. Keep us posted.

Back