free website stats program 2010 FLHX high pitch noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 FLHX high pitch noise

northedge

Just picked up 2010 Street Glide, when I hit 35-40 miles, I start hearing this high pitch ringing noise. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the fairing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes! Its a constant ringing sound and it consistently comes on when I hit the 35-40 mph and stays on even at 65 mph.

Has this happened to anybody else? I love the bike, I just hate to think that there is something wrong with it already.

Thanks!

Sorry I can't help you. I had a whistle that turned out to by wind over the mirror holes. They gave me some plugs and whistle is gone. I'll be watching your thread though. This is my first touring bike and every sound seems different. My last machine had loud pipes so I couldn't hear the fenders fall off...now I constantly wondering if "This is normal, or that is bad, what's that....but, like you, I still love this ride. Just getting used to it more and more each day. Good luck hope you get it solved

I'm hoping it is just wind noise that happens to get louder at that speed. I'm definitely going to bring it to the dealer's attention once its time for it's 1k service but I'm hoping I can isolate the noise the more I ride it. Thanks for the reply!

Just picked up 2010 Street Glide, when I hit 35-40 miles, I start hearing this high pitch ringing noise. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the fairing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If it sounds like a screeching sound like a metal to metal sound, get it to the Dealership NOW. It could be that the compensator nut has backed off. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THIS. IF YOU ARE UNSURE, TAKE IT IN.

TQ

Thanks!

Cheeseman had a thread about this several months back. It was the added chrome housing around his headlight when the wind hit it at a certain speed. I know, I rode it and heard it. He put tape around it and the sound was gone. He than removed the tape and put chrome door stripping under the housing to cosmetically seal the gap. If yours is stock without anything added, this might not be of any help.

If it's definitely a ringing vs. a whistling, I agree with TQ - get it to the dealer as soon as you can. It's under warranty - why mess around?

I guess the dealer should be able to diagnose this ringing noise. I'm just wondering -- is this typical of a compensator nut? The ringing noise does not appear until you hit 35 and most of the time 40 mph.

I'll schedule an appointment and post what they say.

Thanks!

If you are still gonna ride it before taking it in, see if it does it in different gears (seems like it does because of the speeds you mention) and if sound doesn't change pitch at different rpms. Different gears/rpm's make me think wind, not engine is cause. I've heard of the front axle holes whistling if they were in an vertical position rather than horizontal.
Even chance the dealer is gonna say "we couldn't hear anything" or "they all do that".

Back