free website stats program 2010 flhtc 1st gear hesitation | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 flhtc 1st gear hesitation

bikerbill1

Hi All, I have a new 2010 flhtc . I have had a wicked hesitation from a stopped position to take off in 1st gear. The bike has V&H true duels from the dealer with stage 1 ac. I tried the PC 5 and switched to Thunder-max. I really hate going back to dealers for service even though I probably already (EDIT)
myself for some good $. From what I've read at this point I'm pretty sure it can't be a tuner related issue. I guess I need to start with some of the basic diognostic tests and see where it goes from there. It seems to be only on acceleration from stopped, kind of a clutch throttle balancing act. Thanks, Bill

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Could a fuel pressure problem be limited ..... or only noticed in that area ?

Absolutely.
Of course it would depend on how much lower the fuel pressure was from ideal (60 psi) and how much offset you have programmed in by your enrichment device.

Your enrichment device (piggy fueler, SEST, ThunderMax etc) extends the injector pulse width for a fatter shot of fuel at cruise but does very little or nothing for the electronic accelerator pump shot which you need for the "take off 1st gear" bog that you are experiencing. A slightly lower PSI would make a dramatic reduction in fuel volume during that short critical time.

I personally would not touch a single map cell setting before measuring your fuel pressure. If ALL other driving conditions are good, it would be the 1st thing I would check. You may check it and find it to be on the "button".
That's Great. Then at least you can move on with a clear head knowing you have provided the system and software with what it needs to perform it's calculations correctly.

Absolutely.
Of course it would depend on how much lower the fuel pressure was from ideal (60 psi) and how much offset you have programmed in by your enrichment device.

Your enrichment device (piggy fueler, SEST, ThunderMax etc) extends the injector pulse width for a fatter shot of fuel at cruise but does very little or nothing for the electronic accelerator pump shot which you need for the "take off 1st gear" bog that you are experiencing. A slightly lower PSI would make a dramatic reduction in fuel volume during that short critical time.

I personally would not touch a single map cell setting before measuring your fuel pressure. If ALL other driving conditions are good, it would be the 1st thing I would check. You may check it and find it to be on the "button".
That's Great. Then at least you can move on with a clear head knowing you have provided the system and software with what it needs to perform it's calculations correctly.
Thanks for the help,as fate would have it I'm working out of town during the week. I can't wait to check this out. Just out of curiosity, could a fuel line leak or hole in the fuel line in the tank cause the same problem ? The reason I ask is that when I turn the ignition switch on with the fuel cap open , I can see a slight mist or spray which seems to stop after the system is pressurised ...... or is this the result of a relief valve operating normaly? Thanks again, Bill

I can see a slight mist or spray which seems to stop after the system is pressurised ......

That is probably your problem. It has never happen to me but you hear of it happening often. I am surprised for a two year old bike. If that is the case, tell us what you find wrong along with the part numbers you replace because mine must be right around the corner.

See => Harley Davidson Community

Sorry for the delay, Ok 1st off had to make an adapter for pressure guage as HD wants big bucks for theirs. Pressure is fine, right around 60 lbs , idled and with some throttle. Thought about the tank internel tubing before I got to the pressure test and found no loose connections or perforations. While I was in there I replaced the fuel pump strainer and fuel filter. because I sacrificed the fuel line supply tube for the pressure guage adapter, I replaced it as well.Still have the problem. Tonight I sprayed brake cleaner all around any intake connections on the throttle body, no aparrent intake leaks there.Any chance the Map sensor could be the culprit ? I've become a "parts changer" , not prowd of it but I've got too much time and aggrivation invested in this now to throw in the towel. Any more suggestions I can try ? I'm gonna take a little ride on "Old Faithful" for a bit, the other older bike. Thanks for your help

Back