free website stats program 2010 5th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 5th gear

pahdrider

Well, looks like HD is fixing the 5th gear whine. The new 2010's have a helical 5th gear vs the straight cut gear. Maybe I can take my 09 in for a warranty work ?

I agree that the whine is very faint with a good syn oil like Spectro 6. But if there was nothing wrong with it why the change ?

I have an 07 FatBoy with almost 30,000 miles and I really do not notice it anymore. Spending money to fix something that does not need fixing does not make sense to me?

I like it. Got a light to tell me when I'm in 6th, a whine to tell me when I'm in 5th. Now I've just got to come up with a way to identify the other four gears!

I will keep the 5th gear I have. It is hardly noticeable and we know it works. HD is no way going to waranty something that has nothing wrong with it so good luck with that thought.

It has never bothered me that 5th has a whine, at least not after I found out it was normal. However, lot of people do have a problem with it and cannot seem to get over the noise. I guess the Motor Company finally got tired of hearing the whining about the whine.

When I took my 09 Ultra in for the 1000 mile service I spoke to the Service Manager about the noise. They recommended Bel Ray in the tranny. It quieted the noise down to where I don't even notice it unless I think about it, and then it is barely noticeable. My bikes going in Sat. for the 5000 and I'm going to stay with the Bel Ray.

Paul

Back