free website stats program 2009 xl 1200 low | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 xl 1200 low

orgredneck

my stock 1200 except se slip ons.
1750 miles.
sometimes pops, only shifting from 1st to 2nd.
never any other time.
could this be too lean.

I'm sure being stock with s/e ex. you are on the lean end of the scale, but I would expect some spitting back throuh the air cleaner while driving around town at lower rpm's if you were tooo lean, but that pop between first and secound would be all the excuse I would need to justify finishing the stage 1:D

Chop, we need to justify...? on a Harley!!! :roflSeriously, though, it probably is a good idea to look into adding an air cleaner mod to improve breathing and TFI to allow to optimize fueling yourself. Look in the Self Help section for details on Stage I mods...

Last edited:
Chop, we need to justify...? on a Harley!!! :roflSeriously, though, it probably is a good idea to look into adding an air cleaner mod to improve breathing and TFI to allow to optimize fueling yourself. Look in the Self Help section for details on Stage I mods...
NEWHD74FAN I've been with the same lady for 29 years and believe me, I do have to justify, unless I buy one for her bike too:)

Had similar symptoms w/my 05 XL1200C, even though it wasn't EFI. Did the stage 1 & bike ran much smoother. Would've added TFI, but traded it for my 09 SG. I'd recommend both TFI & stage 1 (like others already ID'd).

when i got my 09 1200L i had 5 them put on the se 2 slip ons without the air cleaner upgrade. i have never had any problem with it like what you are experiencing. i parked for thr winter with 3900 miles on it. if you trust your delear mechanic you should ask him about it. good luck.

Check the torque on the nuts that hold the exhaust pipes to the cylinder head. Should be 96-120 in-lbs. Too many people just hand tighten them and then you end up with exhaust leaks that cause the problem you described. My dealer installed the SE pipes on my XL1200L and the bolts were hand tight 1,000 miles when I put the D&D slip ons on.

Just my 2cts.

my stock 1200 except se slip ons.
1750 miles.
sometimes pops, only shifting from 1st to 2nd.
never any other time.
could this be too lean.

YES.......... HARLEYS are ALWAYS LEAN and for right now YOU CAN install the TFI to correct the problem on your sporty...ADD AIR is a GOOD thing but only when the TFI is used to UN-lean the condition...

WHAT mileage do you get per gal???

IF OVER 49/50per gal.,, IT's way TOO LEAN, my 2006 1200 roadster (carbed) gets 49 and is JUST a tad lean...

BELIEVE ME, YOURS WILL run BETTER after TFI added.... YOU will notice it "IN THE SEAT OF YOUR PANTS" just by installing the TFI....... MANY here are using TFI,,,, SWEAR BY IT NOT AT...... easy to install and a discount being a HD Talking member also a BIG discount being military, if you qualify...

The base price at around 255. $$$ well spent....

KEEP US INFORMED to WHAT you DO and FIND....

signed....BUBBIE

I will 2nd Recon Dad's info. My wife had an 08 XL1200L with the SE slip ons. The bike ran great, but did occasionally seem to "pop". When I did the 5000 mile service on it, I noticed that one of the nuts on the rear head pipe was loose and the 2nd had fallen off and was luckily wedged in between the heat shield and the head pipe. Replaced the nut and tightened the loose nut and the "pop" disappeared. Bike ran great with just the slip ons and pretty consistently got in the upper 40's for mileage. The bike was just a tad slower than my 08 XL1200R with cycle shack pipes on it. Very happy with the performance of both machines.

I agree with Recon Dad & sgt_1230 look for a ex. leak, that could do it, and SPORTY LADY has a very good point, they don't pop out of the box, it should run smooth even with slip-on's, so long as they have some baffling it should not make a pop.

Back