free website stats program 2009 streetglide front rotors | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 streetglide front rotors

algoma

HELP!
I have changed the front rotors on my SG twice due to warpage.Trouble is ,I don"t brake hard enough to damage them.
Has anyone out there had the same problem.Are there issues with 09 touring rotors.
This is getting expensive.
Any help appreciated before I get a third set of rotors.
Thanks

I don't remember there being a common problem with warpage on '09 rotors. Have you raised the front wheel off the ground to check for drag? When you are riding, make a stop without using the front brakes and feel if the rotors are hot. If they are, it's possible your caliper pistons are dirty and not able to retract. An easy fix with old shoelace and brake cleaner.

I have only owned FLH models, never had a warped rotor, turned the rear blue on a steep and long hill once.
Had a 09 RKC and never had that problem, not sure if there is a different rotor or not.
A couple questions for you.
Is the mounting surface clean and no burrs at the bolt holes?
Are you snuging the bolts in a star patteren before torqueing them in a star pattern.
After your next ride can you raise the front wheel and spin it to be sure it has very little drag from the brakes?
May be a sticking caliper piston causing extra heat
leading to warping.

Do You use a wheel chock?Some of those will bend the rotors,making You think that they warped.

If it happens again and you have to replace the rotors, you might consider floating rotors.

Cheers,

TQ

All good possible reasons why my rotors are warping.
Unfortunately the bike is in the barn since it's winter time in eastern Canada.
I have a chock on my bike lift but it only grabs the tire so that's not an issue.
The caliper pistons will be checked for dirt in the spring along with all the possibilities you have mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for the input. great to have a place to get help.!!

HELP!
I have changed the front rotors on my SG twice due to warpage.Trouble is ,I don"t brake hard enough to damage them.
Has anyone out there had the same problem.Are there issues with 09 touring rotors.
This is getting expensive.
Any help appreciated before I get a third set of rotors.
Thanks
it sounds like the calipers but not be releasing and getting the rotors too hot. Are they blue? Can you jack up the bike and roll the front wheel?

Back