free website stats program 2009 Street Glide Wheel Conversion 18" | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Street Glide Wheel Conversion 18"

I needed new front rotors and pads for my 2009' FLHX. I went to the dealership to purchase the new parts and stumbled across a brand new set of take off wheels and tires from a 2012' model FLHX. I want to swamp the entire wheel and tire out. My bike was originally equipped with a 17" rim. Has anyone made this conversion? Tips tricks etc? I checked the rotors and they are the exact same part number so I am confident the brakes will work. I have heard rumor that a bearing might need to change? Has anyone completed this conversion? Thanks,

Last edited:
Sorry I got overly excited posting this thread and screwed up the year. I think I lost one too many brain cells in last weekends drinking marathon. It is a 2009' FLHX not a 2008' as the title indicates.

I took care of it for you!
Dr. D

Last edited by a moderator:
re: 2009 Street Glide Wheel Conversion 18"

The swap should be straight forward but why.Not that much change in looks and with the 17 in you have a better selection of tires. I got 10 RGC that came with the 18,tire selection stinks.

I thought my rotors were warped and needed to be replaced. Before tearing the motorcycle apart I wanted to have all the replacement parts ready. I bought two new sets of pads and two new front rotors. Walked outside to check out the swap they were having in the yard. While walking through the yard I stumbled across new take off parts from a 2012' with only 17 miles on them. I bought the front wheel (with both rotors and the new tire), the rear wheel (with the rotor and the new tire), and the factory slip fit exhaust for $275 over what the rotors alone would have cost. I thought it was a decent deal as I paid over $300 just for a rear tire last season. I'll run the bigger wheel till the tire is shot, as mine is close to needing replaced, and switch back later if tire selection becomes an issue. The rotors between the two bikes are 100% the same.

Sounds like you made a great deal and if the need arises you can as you say always go back to the stock wheels and have the 18" for resale. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I think so! Now all I need to do is get off my lazy duff, put the bike on the lift, and get the new parts installed. I will post how well the conversion goes once completed. May even take pictures. Its difficult to get motivation to fix one with you have two other bikes to ride.

Thanks for correcting my title mix up Dr.D! :D

After a nice ride yesterday I got enough motivation to get the big bike up on the lift. Removed the wheel, tire, and brake calipers (from the forks). Unfortunately I realized the small amount of rust around on the inside front seam of the fender wasn't the only rust. I had to remove the fender to operate on the whole inside center section. It looks like whereever the water/road debri flings on the inside on the fender light surface rust was starting. Now I have the task of hand sanding this entire inside section, treating it with rust convertor, and applying new paint or epoxy. Suggestions? Someone recommended undercoating, but I never cared for that stuff. :(

I treated the inner fender with rust convertor and painted it with old fashion oil based enamel. After installing the fender I thought I was well on my way until I realized the axle spacers would not fit. The 2012' wheel had one bearing that was wider than the other. I assume it is for the abs sensor, but I am not 100%. Anyways I turned into a machinist for an afternoon and machined a new spacer for the wheel. You need a spacer that is 1/8" under stock size for this conversion to work. I will upload pic's soon. Thanks,

Here are some pictures of the new part required. It is basically the same, except 1/8" under stock width. I keep the stock one just in case I wanted to re-install the original wheel. Technically you could face the stock one down 1/8" to make it work. Enjoy

Attachments

• SG spacer complete.jpg
    SG spacer complete.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 15
  • SG spacer comparison to stock.jpg
    SG spacer comparison to stock.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 13
Back