free website stats program 2009 street glide - noise when starting | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 street glide - noise when starting

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why my 2009 street glide after i ride it for awhile, shut it off and when i go to start it back up it makes this clanking noise and it sounds like something got stuck?

More than likely it's the compensator making the noise. It's shared by most of the newer bikes 2007 and on. It sounds like someone hitting the engine with a hammer when you first press the starter button.

So Glider is this normal?

Just so you know you HIT it right on the head! with it sounds like a hammer hitting the engine. Should I be worried?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not according to Harley :D

IMO, it's a very poor design that the 07 and later bikes have. The newer bikes went to the SE compensator but that also has it's problems too with fretting due to improper oil lubrication in the hub.

Complain to your dealer, they may replace it for you with the SE compensator.

Harley Davidson Community

Harley Davidson Community

Sounds Good, will do! I going to jump on the phone right now. Thanks much Bud!

=================================================

Glider one more question. I guess I’m just picky when it comes to my property. :D

but.......I also notice that when I’m riding the engine when I first start out runs smooth and beautiful, after a while of riding the front jug starts to sound like it’s going to lose the cam. Or maybe sounds like it's racing.

Sorry If I being to particular......but it's my first harley and not very experienced in it. :newsmile011:

The TC engines like you have are a bit noisy. It would also depend on what oil you use as to how noisy it is. Most good synthetics many have complained about the engine being noisier but they are worth it as far as the protection in heat that they give. They don't break down as fast as dino oil does.

Thanks! I appreciate your expertise! :worthy

Hey Glider,

So let me ask you this. Is it worth getting the SE compensator Installed if there are problems with it? I guess i'm wondering which problem is less. The kick back on the one installed now or the fretting on the SE one.

It's a judgement call at this point. If they find a solution to the SE compensator, then that would be the way to go IMO.

Back