free website stats program 2009 Sportster 1200 Low Purchase | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Sportster 1200 Low Purchase

onbassman34

I am about to purchase an 09 Sportster 1200 Low in Flame Blue Pearl. New to the whole bike scene and wanted to know if I haggling is a no no at a Harley dealer. $13,000 for a bike seems a little steep after tax, destination and all that jazz. Not to mention I need to buy a helmet, jacket and all that noise on top of it.

Has anyone bought one recently and got things thrown on top of the deal, i.e; jacket, helmets, riders course...that sort of thing.

Haggling now is a must. Cut your best deal KNOWING what the bike actually costs before you go in to buy it. Tell them you can get a better price elsewhere and if they want to do better, you may buy from them if they do. After all the price haggling is done and they just will not move any more, then is the time to get the extras thrown in like a helmet or some chrome add ons for nothing to sweeten the deal.
It works well but you have to know the prices beforehand. If they don't meet your expectations, go elsewhere. The dealers are loaded with bikes and unless they start to cut some deals, it costs them money to keep them on the floor without selling them. If they stand long enough on the floor without selling, they may just break even on the price. It's called a floor plan where they pay interest on the loan for their bikes that are on the floor.
Also some dealers will compromise on setup and delivery charges (shipping) so don't let them add extras on to the invoice when they write it up if they do. Get the "out the door" price before signing on the bottom line and make sure to go over it and understand what all the charges are. Make the salesperson explain anything you don't understand the meaning of.
Beware of the "free service" that some offer as a selling point. In some cases "free" doesn't normally get you what you are expecting.:s

I am in early negotiations so I will ask for the jacket and riders course and see what happens. Helmets are the cheaper part of the equation so I will buy those myself. I figure they don't want bikes on the floor right now as it is, that's why I am buying now.

Thanx for the advice and keep it coming. I want as much ammo as possible when I get to table tomorrow morning. I look forward to riding again, I have missed it tremendously.

Is the Maintenance Package a rip off? I can do an oil change, but is there something special I should be looking for? For an extra $30 a month is it worth it if I am only riding probably 500 miles or less a month?

Last edited:
When I was 19 (19 years ago) I had a hand me down trashed Sportster that barely ran and I traded it for a new bass when I needed one and had no cash. In hind site it was great deal but I miss it. I don't have the bass anymore either.

That seems REAL high, but I don't know for sure what those numbers are, or where you are buying it. A few more details might help.

The bike itself was just a little over 10 grand (2009 Sportster Low with spoke wheels and the paint color is an added option evidentally).

There is 2 grand worth of taxes title and all that jargon. He wouldn't let me take the paper home that had all the numbers on it of course but it came out to a little over 13 grand. This is before the bars, front controls, alarm, mid backrest and brake light mods (another 2 grand which more than half of it is labor)

It's at Tucson Harley, Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't get the service plan and Lou is right on about the interest rate HD uses I went online to their credit page for fun and got them to calculate a loan for a new bike.Their financing worked out to 12 3/4%! In this day and age that is robbery! JMHO

Back