free website stats program 2009 softail tranny problems | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 softail tranny problems

Slayton

I'm looking for some help on my 2009 softail heritage classic. Was riding when ran into the following problem. At first, could only shift between 2nd and 3rd. Was heading home because of the problem. within 5 minutes, the tranny was free reving and I couldn't shift at all. Any help with what to look for would help alot.

Doesn't sound like fun, haven't had that problem, but when I went to adjust my clutch - I stripped a bolt on my primary cover....matters have gone from bad to worse- I then broke the "extractor" bit in the hole that I ahd to drilled in the bolt to extract the broken bolt - geesh- nothing is easy.... Another example why I am not mechanic :)

Doesn't sound like fun, haven't had that problem, but when I went to adjust my clutch - I stripped a bolt on my primary cover....matters have gone from bad to worse- I then broke the "extractor" bit in the hole that I ahd to drilled in the bolt to extract the broken bolt - geesh- nothing is easy.... Another example why I am not mechanic :)

A bit of antisieze under the captive washer and on the threads will help. Also if your bolts are still the torx type, a bit of antisieze on the bit end will give you a more positive connection when removing the bolts tried and trued by me:s

After adjusting clutch be sure to check that all shifting linkage is secure and tight. There has been cases of the knurls stripping on the linkage causing transmission to not securely engage....

And when you do get those torx bolts out. Take one to Ace hardware and replace with Allen head bolts and new washers. Throw the torx in the trash.

I'm looking for some help on my 2009 softail heritage classic. Was riding when ran into the following problem. At first, could only shift between 2nd and 3rd. Was heading home because of the problem. within 5 minutes, the tranny was free reving and I couldn't shift at all. Any help with what to look for would help alot.

As has been suggested, check clutch adjustment first, then the fitment of the linkage arm on the shifter pawl as dbmg suggests. If all that looks good, you are going to have to pull the top cover and see what's going on inside. Shifter pawl spring broken, shift fork(s) bent, etc. Unfortunately being a softtail, you have to get the oil lines on the right side out out of the way. If you plan on a diy repair, get the service manual.:D

Back