free website stats program 2009 Road King rear cylinder drop | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road King rear cylinder drop

Anyone know of an problems with the new rear cylinder drop on the 2009 Road King? I have been playing on my new one and going up a hill it seems as if the motor is missing and has no power. One the way back with four of these friday we thought it might have been bad gas, but they were all fulled at the same place and only three of them did this. Two of the bikes were set so that the rear cylinder will drop as it was explained to me only if the engine runs hot. Not sure it the other two were set on this setting or not. It only happens going up a hill. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've noticed similar behavior on my 09 Glide. Sometimes it would idle rough, etc. and I turned off the rear cylinder shutoff and runs much better. It rarely goes into shutoff mode anyway and from what I've heard and read it's only for rider comfort anyway, the heat doesn't bother me enough to use it. Interesting to see someone else has issues with this, I thought it was just in my head or something.

LJ

Thanks for the response. I had never had this happen and just wondered if it was us or if others had this problem. Just doesn't seem right.

If you're talking about the Engine Temp Management System (EITMS) you're way off base. It only activates when you're stopped and idling. It will NOT cut off the rear cylinder if you're on the gas or moving in any way, uphill, downhill, whatever.

Are you running any kind of after market fuel tuner?

Dr.

We had just picked the bikes up for the dealer brand new 3-5 miles per bike; they preped them, they put gas in for us and we hit the road. Unknown what they put in it. The first bike began to miss about 50 miles into the trip, then the second began about 65 miles into the trip and the last was about 90 miles into a 140 mile trip. The last bike did not do anything other than run like we stole it. I did not think that the EITMS would do that unless the bike was stopped, that's why I was asking just to make sure before I asked the dealer about it.

Thanks

OK - doesn't sound like an EITMS problem - more like bad gas. That doesn't explain why only the rear cylinders are dropping out though. Can't wait to hear the dealer explanation on this one.

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic. At the 1000 mile service I ordered and had installed the Supertrapp slip ons (dealer said they were the same as the SE slip ons), SE high flow air, and the SE tuner...the bike sounded awesome...a little more throaty at cruise, but not too loud, and it would bark when you got on the throttle...just what I wanted. And the power and performance was noticeable...I was stoked...until two weeks after getting the upgrade I have been experiencing the same thing you described...and it does it intermittently...no power or torque when climbing hills (when it had this for the first two weeks after the upgrade)...the exhaust doesn't have that pop either when it is doing this...it sounds flat...it feels as though it is running on one cylinder or that the rear cylinder is dropping out...the bike experiences a "lurching" vibration when accelerating when it is acting up like this. I feel that it is the rear cylinder because it doesn't get hot like it did for the first two weeks. I've had it back to the dealer 4 times and they say nothing is wrong. I turned off the engine management system, but it didn't make a difference. I'm so disappointed now, wishing that I hadn't done the upgrade. 09StreetGlide, you said it was the coil connections. Can you give any more detail? I want to try to get this fixed. I was told to check the battery connections as well. If anyone can help, I'd be in your debt.

I have an 2009 road king with almost 5,000 miles on it. All I have added was thunderheader slip on's and have never had the cut out problem

Back