free website stats program 2009 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road King Classic

Thumbs

I purchased a 2009 Road King Classic and noticed it is nearly impossible to check the tire pressure in the rear tire or fill the tire with air. There is not enough room between the valve stem and the spokes. The rear tire should have a 45 degree valve stem like most of the foreign bikes in the same class. When I informed the dealer after purchasing the bike they said they had heard of the issue but didn't have a solution. Has anyone purchased a tube with the 45 degree valve stem that fits the rim and tire? Hopefully they will put a recall out on this and replace the tube for free.......(but I doubt it!!!)

You need this type of an air chuck to get on the valve. I never had a problem using this type. I also wouldn't wait for a recall for the tire valve.:s

I purchased a 2009 Road King Classic and noticed it is nearly impossible to check the tire pressure in the rear tire or fill the tire with air. There is not enough room between the valve stem and the spokes. The rear tire should have a 45 degree valve stem like most of the foreign bikes in the same class. When I informed the dealer after purchasing the bike they said they had heard of the issue but didn't have a solution. Has anyone purchased a tube with the 45 degree valve stem that fits the rim and tire? Hopefully they will put a recall out on this and replace the tube for free.......(but I doubt it!!!)

Comparing a 08 rear tire and rim to a 09 tire and rim is like comparing apples and oranges. They are nothing alike.

I have the lace wheels on my 09 and while it’s still a bear checking and airing that rear tire, it is much easier using the guage I have now.

I didn’t know how to describe the setup so I’ve attached a picture (I hope) of the gauge and chuck I use. My HD tech told me about it. The chuck is like the one Glider recommends but it locks on the valve stem, and it has a release valve to adjust the air pressure if you go over. I’ve checked the gauge with several others and it is dead on. I bought it at Autozone and it was only $17.00.

It definitely made a difficult job a little easier. Still a pain in the rear though.

Hope you have an air compressor.
:42:

Attachments

• DSC01948.jpg
    DSC01948.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 104
I also read in a different thread that you can buy a 45 degree valve stem adapter at an RV store. I think I'll check into that as well.

Yeah, but the plain brass one that Glider posted is all of 99 cents at Big Lots!

And if you are still having problems reaching the tire valve you can add a length of pipe with a hose barb to attach the hose to so it would be extended.

Comparing a 08 rear tire and rim to a 09 tire and rim is like comparing apples and oranges. They are nothing alike.

I have the lace wheels on my 09 and while it’s still a bear checking and airing that rear tire, it is much easier using the guage I have now.

I didn’t know how to describe the setup so I’ve attached a picture (I hope) of the gauge and chuck I use. My HD tech told me about it. The chuck is like the one Glider recommends but it locks on the valve stem, and it has a release valve to adjust the air pressure if you go over. I’ve checked the gauge with several others and it is dead on. I bought it at Autozone and it was only $17.00.

It definitely made a difficult job a little easier. Still a pain in the rear though.

Hope you have an air compressor.
:42:

I like that

Back