free website stats program 2009 Road Glide - My project updates | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road Glide - My project updates

Grillfish

Will add to this posting as I add new items to the 2009 RG. The project will be spread over time and not done in one big chunk. Pics will be added when I have extra time.

January/February 2009:

Clearview Windsheild:

Custom Motorcycle Windshields

GT stock height w/ recurve
Install was very easy.
The result was a nice improvement over OEM shield. At slower speeds - up to 45 MPH, a little more wind comes through into the driver. This is not bad at all, espcialy in the FL hot weather. When the speed increases, this is where the Clearview shines. I can cruise @ 70 mph and get little buffeting.

BackOFF brake light modulator:

Brake Light Signal Module

Used the standard brake modulator and not the XP made for LEDs.
Install was easy. Downloaded the wiring diagram found on this sight, pulled the seat, spliced it in and mounted the modulator under the seat. After my in-laws were rear ended on their new 2008 Goldwing in October, this was one of the first items I added.

HogTunes

Welcome

Actual install of the front speakers was a breeze, the removal of the front fairing was not bad, but the re-install of the fairing took the most time. Make sure you have a HD manual and read some of the posts on this website for helpful hints.

I'm satisfied with the speakers and they do add some nice clarity and volume w/out distortion compared to stock ones. This weekend, I'll test them out at highway speeds.

HD Smart Siren II

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

I had the standard security system that flashed the turn signlas and disabled the ignition. But I wanted to add some sound and the ability to add the pager. I bought this from Seminole Harley when they had 25% off parts. Install was very easy. There is a very nice write up in this website.

More to come as I save more $$$$ :)

More to come as I save more $$$$

There is no such thing as saving money when you have an agenda to customize your Harley... but that is what makes owning a Harley fun and we're helping the economy !:newsmile093:

Last edited:
HAHAHAH Yes upgrading the bike means downgrading the bank account. Geeze I shopped for bargains, I did everything myself and it still cost's a bundle. But...(there's always a but) the wife did agree to let me do whatever it took to bring my Roadking Police up to my dream bike. (big mistake on her part). Seems like Christmas everyday when a new box of "stuff" arrives from J&P cycle or Chicago Harley Davidson (my two new favourite shopping places). Oh and falling asleep everynight clutching the J&P cycle Harley Dream book . HAHAHAHAHA:newsmile029:

Oh ya, I agree. 12 pack of beer and a credit card is dangerous. I'm trying my best to buy things along the way with cash (or atleast the cash in the bank when the credit card bill shows up).

And it doesn't help having J&P up the road in Ormond Beach!

Ride safe and have fun!
Todd

Sounds like you have been working on your bike lots already. I just picked up my 2009 FLTRSE3 and have started to add parts even though it is still snowing up here. I bought a hiden arial to put inside the fairing because the HD relocation kit does not work on the SE3. Without a manual I don't know if I have removed all the fasteners to separate the inner and outer fairing. I removed 6 torx fasteners and the side ligt brackets. The sides came loose but i cannot get the two pieces apart. Do you know of a tick to do that? If you could help that would be great!

Sounds like you have been working on your bike lots already. I just picked up my 2009 FLTRSE3 and have started to add parts even though it is still snowing up here. I bought a hiden arial to put inside the fairing because the HD relocation kit does not work on the SE3. Without a manual I don't know if I have removed all the fasteners to separate the inner and outer fairing. I removed 6 torx fasteners and the side ligt brackets. The sides came loose but i cannot get the two pieces apart. Do you know of a tick to do that? If you could help that would be great!

Removing Road Glide Fairing - Harley Davidson Community

Follow Glider's link. To remove the front after you removed the torx and the turn signals is an "up and out" type movement to get up and over the two hooks inside.

The two hooks on the inside can be very frustrating if you don't remove the headlights when you do the reinstall.

Ride safe and have fun!

Project Update cont...

February

Harley Rider Backrest and Mounting Kit

HD Part # Smooth Vinyl Style 52914-09 and 09+ Mounting Kit 52589-02

Install was about 30 minutes. Needed to remove the seat, attach the brackets to bolts and holes already there, reattach the seat and test fit. I installed the nuts/bolts slightly loose so I could esily adjust the mounting bracket once I sat on the bike.

Impressions... The backrest is down as far as it will go. If I used a higher setting, I think the two metal suport brackets would show, but looks good and feels the best at the lowest setting. So far by sitting on the bike it provides alot of support. I'll give it a test ride later this week or maybe right after work today :)

Ride safe and have fun!

Project Update cont...

March

TFI Install

Motorcycle Fuel Injection Kits and Electronic Fuel Injection Systems - EFI

Part #1252-ST

Installwas about 45 minutes. No stage 1 yet, but will add eventually. Easy install. Even after disconnecting the fuel line (snap to do) and lifting the tank some, I couldn't get my hands in there. So I unbolted the cross support bracket where the horn is. After that, man it was easy to connect everything. I followed Bud's advice and zip tied the O2 connectors right next to each other so it looks stock! I set the pots to what the directions had for a stock bike. I mounted the TFI on top of the ECM with the attached velcro. I took the bike out for a short ride and it does seem like it runs alot smoother!

Last edited by a moderator:
March cont...

Ness Big Sucker I

Arlen Ness - Big Sucker Air Filter Kits

Part# 18-518 (chrome)

30 Minute install that was very very easy. I picked up the kit off eBay new in box for $100 shipped. I used the stock air cover. I adjusted the TFI slightly and went for a ride. Very impressed. The growl you get when you twist the throttle and the response is great. V&H pipes come next.

Been watching Grill, how about some pics? Did you buy just the hog tunes front speakers or did you get the amp also? How do they sound at highway speeds? Hoping to do alot of this on my RG as well. Keep em coming.:small3d006:

I'll take some pics soon. Busy finishing up work before a week long spring turkey hunt. Just did the Hog Tunes, no amp. With the CV windsheild, at highway speeds they sound great. Can't even turn them up more than 75% or they hurt my ears. Now, when I add my V&H pipes (when I return from my hunt), I'll check them out again.

Have fun and ride safe.
Todd

Back