free website stats program 2009 Road Glide Excessive High Idle | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road Glide Excessive High Idle

I had one problem with my TBW the week I got my bike 2 years ago. I accidently rolled the throttle way forward while horsing it around trying to park in a gravel parking lot. (That's the other way to make it happen other than shutting down at a high RPM). When I started it to leave the idle was very high (not 4000), probably more like 2000 or so. It would NOT idle down.

I was taught by the salesman how to clear it using a series of on / off's with the ignition switch. It worked and 8000 miles later It's never happened again. Still...rather have a good ol' throttle cable but that's just me.

I get the high idle from time to time,(2000 rpms) usually after a long ride and the engine is nice and hot, thought it was a intake leak but I have done the on off thing on my own and that gets her back to normal.
I did have a problem with the starter sticking back in the rainy season too, so I am thinking a open in the wiring that grounds on the bars in the control housing.
No codes.

I had throttle problem earlier this year when comming to idle it would stay @ 1800 to 2500 rpm, also would do it if you where cruising and toulk your hand of throttle and pulled into the clutch. found that I couls get it to come down by twisting throttle backwards and it would idle down. It did it for 2 days then it stopped. Dealer had it and did a flash and replaced throttle. No problem since. You shuold not get high idle when turning trottle in backwards because that is how you turn on or off the parade function.
All 2009 touring modles have fly by wire that way H.D. could get rid of the cruise controll module and cables and run it all through the throttle body module.

_____________ 09 FLHTCU_____________

Well I thought everyone would like to know that I fixed this problem myself. The wires in the handle bars for the cruise control nicked and would ground and lock the cruise on by passing the safe guards to shut it down.

Well I thought everyone would like to know that I fixed this problem myself. The wires in the handle bars for the cruise control nicked and would ground and lock the cruise on by passing the safe guards to shut it down.

Did you take any pix that you can share with the dealer? If this is something that can cause the bike to rev to 4 or 5000 RPM, and the dealer replaced components in the bars someone should be checking to make sure the wires are in correctly. I doubt any dealer or HD wants this type of PR.

Back