free website stats program 2009 rear wheel removal | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 rear wheel removal

I removed rear wheel on my 2009 Streetglide to change my tire 2 days ago and also first had a problem in caliper clearing the wheel. What worked for me was to fully spread the brake pads as they remained in the caliper, that allowed it to clear the wheel and as was well.

I removed rear wheel on my 2009 Streetglide to change my tire 2 days ago and also first had a problem in caliper clearing the wheel. What worked for me was to fully spread the brake pads as they remained in the caliper, that allowed it to clear the wheel and as was well.

Just curious...what did you use to spread the pads (without damaging the pads) while in the caliper with minimal area to work?

Just curious...what did you use to spread the pads (without damaging the pads) while in the caliper with minimal area to work?

When you're replacing the pads, if my memory is correct you remove the cover from the reservoir so there's no resistance when pushing the pads in and they move pretty easily. A spackling tool or kitchen spatula (don't tell your wife) works fine. Just go slowly so you don't splash any brake fluid out of the reservoir.

Now I can see where this could work as the It only needed a slight bit more of clearance to come off

If you didn't remove caliper or rotor how did you get tire changed?

Honestly, I just dropped the wheel out from underneath and took the new tire and the wheel (still mounted with old tire) to an indy just down the road. He swapped tires, balanced and gave it back to me with 15 minutes. I watched the whole thing and he certainly didn't remove the rotor. The caliper stayed on the bike.

When you're replacing the pads, if my memory is correct you remove the cover from the reservoir so there's no resistance when pushing the pads in and they move pretty easily. A spackling tool or kitchen spatula (don't tell your wife) works fine. Just go slowly so you don't splash any brake fluid out of the reservoir.

You should open the bleeder screw so you do not force old crud and pressure backin system, also on ABS systems putting pressure in reverse direction has the possability of jamming one of the soleniods.

You should open the bleeder screw so you do not force old crud and pressure backin system, also on ABS systems putting pressure in reverse direction has the possability of jamming one of the soleniods.

This is what we do in the Auto repair industry, not a bad idea here too IMO:D This would also give you the time to bleed the brakes and get some fresh fluid in there, another plus

Last edited by a moderator:
Back