free website stats program 2009 rear wheel removal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 rear wheel removal

Just a heads up that rotor needs new bolts when ever you remove it. If not make sure you use Blue loc tight if useing old ones.

I changed tires on my '09 Ultra last week. I just dropped the wheel straight out the bottom while the bike was on the jack. I didn't have any issues at all with either the front or the rear wheel. I didn't remove calipers and wouldn't dream of removing the rotors unless I was replacing them.

I changed tires on my '09 Ultra last week. I just dropped the wheel straight out the bottom while the bike was on the jack. I didn't have any issues at all with either the front or the rear wheel. I didn't remove calipers and wouldn't dream of removing the rotors unless I was replacing them.

That seems to make sense. I'd venture to guess that dealer mechanics would be unhappy with removing the rotor with every rear tire change.
VegasRob

Here's some info that I found and I'm probably sure this is what we're looking for in order to drop the rear 09- wide wheels without dismounting the rotor.

"Remove the one pad pin just enough so the inboard pad drops out and then you have the clearance to remove the caliper from the rotor."​

Well that is certainly interesting. Folks who can't remove without removing rotor - and those who can remove without having to remove the rotor. My interest still lies in the "if necessary" wording. As I don't ride an '09 - I'm likely to never find out :newsmile100:

I also recently removed the rear wheel on my 09 Road King. I removed the caliper and dropped the wheel. Not sure what the issue is but didn't have a problem.

I don't know if RK wheels are the same as EG wheels but I do know that the axel was out, tire dropped from frame, caliper mounting bracked was removed.
Nothing but the wheel with caliper on rotor still attatched, and caliper would not come off rotor without hitting wheel, and would not clear. I have taken off wire wheels and had no problem, but the stock EG wheel would not let the caliper clear, at least for me. I don't have an answer as to why. Front wheel was no problem.

Here's some info that I found and I'm probably sure this is what we're looking for in order to drop the rear 09- wide wheels without dismounting the rotor.

"Remove the one pad pin just enough so the inboard pad drops out and then you have the clearance to remove the caliper from the rotor."​

Now I can see where this could work as the It only needed a slight bit more of clearance to come off

If you didn't remove caliper or rotor how did you get tire changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I can see where this could work as the It only needed a slight bit more of clearance to come off

Well that was the trick. Remove the inner shoe in the caliper and you will have just barely enough room to remove the caliper from the rotor.

I know this because I just did a dry run. I put the wheel with a new tire mounted with the rotor attached (w/old bolts/screws) on and all spacers (abs sensor) axle and was able to slide the rotor in over the caliper within the edge of the wheel.
So now I'll drop the wheel out and put all new bolts/screws back in the rotor and torc them, then back in it'll go.:worthy

Well that was the trick. Remove the inner shoe in the caliper and you will have just barely enough room to remove the caliper from the rotor.

I know this because I just did a dry run. I put the wheel with a new tire mounted with the rotor attached (w/old bolts/screws) on and all spacers (abs sensor) axle and was able to slide the rotor in over the caliper within the edge of the wheel.
So now I'll drop the wheel out and put all new bolts/screws back in the rotor and torc them, then back in it'll go.:worthy

Thank you. It's so nice to have the trial and error done for the rest of us on the list. VegasRob

Back