free website stats program 2009 Heritage Console Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Heritage Console Removal

AZRICH

Hi. I'm new to my Harley and new to the forum. Was hoping I could get a little help here. I have a 2009 Heritage Softail Classic and I was wanting to remove and replace the tank bib that fits under the console and under the seat. I've unscrewed the nut on top of the console, but it won't budge. I didn't want to damage anything, so I left it alone and thought I would ask here. I think the 2009 is different than previous years. Your help would be appreciated. And I hope I posted to the right forum.

I think the only softail that has changed is the FXCW/C, all others only have the nut amd washer on top of console, I think? I've had them want to stick but a slight tap with my palm would usually jar them loose.

Well, I have tried tapping it many times, but it won't budge. I'm afraid to hit it too hard. That is why I think there may be some new trick to taking them off. I know Harley changed the frame in 2009, and the console is now what they call a "cat's eye" console. So maybe there is some way it is held that I am not aware of.

I just took the top nut off on my 08 Heritage. The first time I took the nut off I thought there had to be something else that had to be loosened. But for the 08, the first time it came off it stuck a little. After that it was gravy. And I didn't tap it...I put my hands on it and gently wiggled it off.

I can't think there would be that much difference in the Cat Eye console than the 08 console other than design.

Hi AZrich I have a 09 Heritage and I had to pull the tank. After removing the nut and washer it came right off. The bolt had a flat head that fit in a grove on the tank.

Thanks for all the input. I mustered up the courage and slipped a small putty knife under the bottom part of the console where the leather piece is .... and I gently pryed it.... and it did pop off. It was on there very tight. I just didn't want to do any damage, and the bike is new to me..... looks new too. I appreciate it.

Now if someone actually made a tank bib with pocket that looked good and fit the 2009 Heritage. According to the Harley dealer, there is only one right now that Harley makes that fits on the 2009. Anybody know anything different? Or who may make some nice ones that would fit my bike.

2009 Heritage is so new, that probably is the problem. Try some aftermarket companies like Mustang, Drag Specialties, or others...also shop around with different parts suppliers, as some like J&P Cycles and others offer good prices.

You can also find a shoe and boot repair shop aroung town. I had a client who owned one and he was always making thinks out of leather for HD riders

Good day all. I just joined the forum and I see that this is an old thread but I'm kinda in the same boat as AZRICH was just at a later date. I'm trying to remove my console on my 09 Heritage Softail to install a different tank bib and new Medallion speedo but I can't get the console to budge on bit after I remove the acorn nut. AZRICH did it with a putty knife but AZDave had to remove the tank. Does anybody have a definitive answer cause the last thing I wanna do is mess up the paint on my tank and have to look at it forever and a day. Thanks all,
Hex

It will lift off once the acorn was removed. You just have to tap it side to side to get it to break loose. The rubber gasket at the base of the console sticks to the paint. I have never seen one ruin the paint though.
tourbox

Back