free website stats program 2009 FXSTC starter problems | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FXSTC starter problems

09FXSTC

Ok, posted here before. My 2009 FXSTC has a starting problem. I hit the run switch, wait for the engine light to turn off, listen for the fuel injection pump to quit running then hit the starter button. Most of the time it starts right up, once and awhile it sounds like the head is slammed in the cylinder and it comes to a screaching halt.

Ok, under warrenty so it is in the shop today for 5000 mile service. They called and said that they were ..yes were able to get the bike to do what I described. I told them to look at the ignition advance and the cam position sensor (thanks to the users here at HD Community)...all they told me was while they were able to get the bike to do what I told them it was doing that is was normal for my model...I doubt it very much.

Sounds bad and I am sure it is causing damage. Yes, this was a HD dealer, same one I bought the bike from. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Terrance

Ok, posted here before. My 2009 FXSTC has a starting problem. I hit the run switch, wait for the engine light to turn off, listen for the fuel injection pump to quit running then hit the starter button. Most of the time it starts right up, once and awhile it sounds like the head is slammed in the cylinder and it comes to a screaching halt.

Ok, under warrenty so it is in the shop today for 5000 mile service. They called and said that they were ..yes were able to get the bike to do what I described. I told them to look at the ignition advance and the cam position sensor (thanks to the users here at HD Community)...all they told me was while they were able to get the bike to do what I told them it was doing that is was normal for my model...I doubt it very much.

Sounds bad and I am sure it is causing damage. Yes, this was a HD dealer, same one I bought the bike from. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Terrance

Find another dealer this is not acceptable No they dont all do this

Capt Jack, Thanks, I should have mentioned that they also said that "everything was within HD specs"...I am thinking however your right on the money...it sounds real bad and therefore cant be good for the engine in the long run. Put almost 7K on it this year and that was a light year from me. Want this thing to last for 10 years.

I am picking it up in 2hours so any suggestions as to what to tell them I would appreciate.

Last edited:
Capt Jack, Thanks, I should have mentioned that they also said that "everything was within HD specs"...I am thinking however your right on the money...it sounds real bad and therefore cant be good for the engine in the long run. Put almost 7K on it this year and that was a light year from me. Want this thing to last for 10 years.

I am picking it up in 2hours so any suggestions as to what to tell them I would appreciate.

Yeah, but The Moderators wont like it, LOL I would politely thank them for wasting your time and you will tell all your friends at H D Talking about there poor service, Capital Jack, Good Luck and let us know how this turns out

once and awhile it sounds like the head is slammed in the cylinder and it comes to a screaching halt.

What does that mean or sound like. Your saying there is a Metallic bang of some sort or are you saying the starter just comes to a stop? A better description of this sound would tell us more of what it can be. There has been times when my engine while cranking has come to an "almost stop" until the piston gets pass TDC of the compression stroke. No metallic sound or a sound like "the head is slammed in the cylinder" (?)

"Screeching Halt" and "Halt" are different to me. Mine WILL come to a "Halt" at times but never a Screeching Halt.

A thrashing, banging sound could be the weak compensator on the 96 engines, but I have not heard of locking up due to the compensator.
Any words you give to the dealer will be wasted breath. The "they all do that" dealers have less sensitivity than smarts.

Don't wait when it's hot, turn on the switch and hit start, I don't shut mine down with my right hand. Yes, leave the run switch on run and turn off with the ignition it will save you from coming back to a dead battery.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Follow up from the Dealer.....Ok, I kept my cool..well mostly. Currently they thinki I might have a "touchy" starter button, loose starter wire. However, they are looking into it and will return an answer this week.

@ Hoople Comes to a halt, but more of a Bang Halt. Really sounds like the head is coming to an abrupt stop.

@ eleft36, You are teh second person to tell me this...ok, I am going to give that a try.

@ 09RGlideKY - mostly yes, if I go on a poker run it will happen atleast once during the run. However, it has happened on the very first start of the day.

I keep my baby in a heated garage +/- 70F at all times, carpeted..I start and ride it atleast 3 times per week even in the winter.

Really sounds like the head is coming to an abrupt stop.

(You really mean "piston" and not the "Head",,I am guessing)

I want to lean more toward what Breeze said about a weak compensator. I swapped out my comp for a SE comp on my 2009 bike and a lot of noises did go away. The removed factory comp was like BRAND NEW (6K miles) so installing a New factory comp would Not have cured my noise issues.

You also may want to perform the "primary chain tension adjuster" trick. It just may help if your primary chain has too much slack. Worth a try cause it's FREE!:)

Back