free website stats program 2009 FLSTC Fuel Gauge Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FLSTC Fuel Gauge Problem

rene361

I brought my '09 Heritage on 08-08-2008. Since first tank of gas, the fuel gauge and the Fuel Range Function have not worked correctly. The low fuel warning lamp comes on at about 130 miles into a full tank of gas. I can run this bike until the fuel range function counts down the last 10 miles of fuel, stop for gas and it will take around 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of gas. I have had this bike in for maintaince 3 times now and service guys say there is nothing wrong. (1,000, new rear tire and 10,000 check-ups) I am not an expert rider and don't have years of riding experience, but I can read the fuel gauge, the Fuel range function, and owners manual. I can also read the gas pump and see how many gallons of gas I"ve just pumped into my bike. I've put over 12,000 miles on this bike to date and need some information. Has anybody out there had this problem with their softail??????????????

I brought my '09 Heritage on 08-08-2008. Since first tank of gas, the fuel gauge and the Fuel Range Function have not worked correctly. The low fuel warning lamp comes on at about 130 miles into a full tank of gas. I can run this bike until the fuel range function counts down the last 10 miles of fuel, stop for gas and it will take around 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of gas. I have had this bike in for maintaince 3 times now and service guys say there is nothing wrong. (1,000, new rear tire and 10,000 check-ups) I am not an expert rider and don't have years of riding experience, but I can read the fuel gauge, the Fuel range function, and owners manual. I can also read the gas pump and see how many gallons of gas I"ve just pumped into my bike. I've put over 12,000 miles on this bike to date and need some information. Has anybody out there had this problem with their softail??????????????

And you took the bike to them when the fuel light was on and a 3/4 - 1/2 tank of gas in it and they said "nothing wrong" !!!

I dont think any of them are very accurate. I go by the odometer. My low fuel light comes on when i still got plenty of fuel but when it does I just get gas next stop. I dont think its good practice to run any kind of vehicle real low on fuel. Its hard to get accurate readings going up and down hills, or braking and accelerating in a car. so if you add into account the sideways lean to a motorcycle then you got alot of variance. Just better to learn how far you can go on a tank of gas and check the odometer. Even that will vary depending on how one rides tho.

Same problem with my Fat Boy. Multiple visits to dealer and no solution. Best suggestion is to watch your odometer and guage your fuel stops accordingly.

Hi
My 2005 Heritage had the same problem. I took it to the dealer. The mechanic told me that there was some kind of rust in the mechanism. He sanded some pieces (I do not know what) Now the gauge is working OK.

Back